Cd-Rom And Cd-Re Writer No longer working!!!!!

mulva42 13:02 29 Apr 04

My OS is XP Pro and has been for the last year or so and have had no problems with my hardware before. But if by magic my pc cant use my cd rom drives which i have 2 off a writer and a normal cd rom.The error i see in the trouble shooting window is(windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware,The driver may be corrupted or missing (Code39). I have tried updating driver from the suppliers web site & also uninstalling the hard-ware but still get the error.I am getting to a point of reinstalling the OS again.

mulva42 13:17 29 Apr 04

Anyone???

Gongoozler 13:19 29 Apr 04

Windows shouldn't need any drivers installed to read a cd-rom. One cause for the problem you are getting is described in this Microsoft article http: / / support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q314060 (you'll need to remove the spaces before you paste the link into your browser address window).

Stuartli 13:22 29 Apr 04

Go into Safe Mode and see if the drives are still listed in Device Manager even if not in standard form.

If they are, then the most likely culprit is that the cables/leads have been disturbed or have come loose, perhaps through working inside the case.

I had this problem once and it took a while to resolve; it turned out that the Secondary IDE cable had been slightly dislodged at the point where it inserts into the other cable on the mobo's socket.

I had been attempting to improve air flow through the case by moving various cables and tying them up and, inadvertently, loosened the ISE cable.

Stuartli 13:24 29 Apr 04

The only driver required for CD/DVD-ROM and rewriter drives is the basic Windows CDROM driver - when Windows detects you have new hardware (i.e. installing a drive) it automatically installs the CDROM driver.

mulva42 13:32 29 Apr 04

I am at work once i get home i will look at the cables incase it is somthing like that, Again if it was the cables windows wouldn't have detected new hardware once i unistalled/installed it Right...xp does seems to load the drivers itself but must be corrupted some where.

mulva42 13:50 29 Apr 04

Ahhh..Now im thinking back every time i powered on my pc it would come up a cd recorder software error at the bottom of the screen i.e pop up.so i managed to track it down to easy cd creator or roxio so i uninstalled it because i never installed it personally which i found to be strange as i built my pc myself.Anyway i am currently going through microsoft link which Gongoozler shortcutted for me..Thanks and also to you stuartli.

P.s when i started this thread it came up with no time at the side only the date,And i have looked at everybody elses which is the same and doesn't have any feedback from anyone.Thats why i resent it with ANYONE???.Maybe know-one can see there thread so cant reply to.Anyway sorry for rabbiting on Thanks guys.Will keep subject open for the mean time untill i try with the microsoft version..

Stuartli 13:57 29 Apr 04

You could try running System File Checker to find out if any files are corrupted.

Easy CD is Roxio software; another point is that WMP9's own CD burning program is also by Roxio, although you can get a Nero Fast Burning CD plug-in from the Ahead website.

Stuartli 14:04 29 Apr 04

I realised when I read back your original thread you wouldn't have been able to uninstall/reinstall the drives if they were not listed in Device Manager...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…