CD-ROM – 2 lots of data depending on how you look?

djsew 22:45 01 Dec 06

The PC is pretty ordinary 6 year old kit, 3yr old DVD writer, orig DVD ROM reader, XP Pro, MS Office etc
I was given CD-R with a MS Publisher file thereon to review.
I put it in DVD-ROM reader and could not see file but only a folder with 130+ .jpg’s.
Propeties showed 408Mb used, zero free.
Mmmmmm…
So, I put the disc in DVD writer; the Publisher file is revealed, no other folder is evident; Properties show one file of about 5Mb (expected) and zero free!
What’s going on here????

Diemmess 14:25 02 Dec 06

You don't say if you can open the publisher file.

If you can find all that you need to review, then I guess the disk has been finalised and you won't be able to edit or add to the CD.

djsew 15:32 02 Dec 06

Oh, sorry, yes, the publisher file is good and I can open it on disc and copy it to elsewhere. Am still puzzled as the why the DVD rewriter 'sees' the one publisher file only and the DVD ROM reader doesn't but reveals a folder of other data. None of the CD-R was writtem on this PC.

Diemmess 16:35 02 Dec 06

It puzzles me too!
Perhaps some expert will pop up and solve the mystery?

The possibility that the publisher doc and the block of jpgs were recorded by separate writers at different times may have something to do with it, but dosn't seem logical or physically possible, to my elderly brain.

Do ask the one_wot_dunnit what he did!

Stuartli 17:34 02 Dec 06

If the disk has been used in multisession mode and the File/Folder name allocated to it has not been Saved between each session, then the files listing is either lost or incomplete.

djsew 20:38 02 Dec 06

Yes, multi-session mode is probably the answer. The guy who gave me the publisher file merely picked up what he thought was a virgin disc and wrote the file he wished me to have. He tells me that visiting neice was using PC just prior to his session...

Totally-braindead 22:50 02 Dec 06

Don't know if this would cause this on a CD but have you checked that your computer is set to show all files and folders because by default it hides hidden files.

Terry Brown 11:41 03 Dec 06

There is program called CDcheck click here, which has a CD /DVD recovery built in and a free trial period, this reads the whole CD /DVD (including headers & hidden sectors) and in recovery mode makes a copy to your harddrive.
Hope this helps
Terry

Fellsider 11:46 03 Dec 06

I sometimes get a message up, when recording multisessions, to say that some sessions may not be readable on different versions of windows.

Looks like this could be a case.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5