CD-Rom

I have recently upgraded my lap-top from Windows ME to XP, but the CD-Rom Icon has disappeared from my computer. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing, also downloading the most recent drivers, but still to no avail. Please could some-one heop me?

Stuartli 14:26 08 Jun 05

Do you mean the icon has disappeared from My Computer>Explore?

Check in the Device Manager that the CD-ROM drive is Enabled in the menu.

You don't need anything other than the basic Windows CDROM driver for CD and DVD drives and it is installed automatically.

Stuartli 14:27 08 Jun 05

Also check that the leads and other connections are firm and done correctly.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:50 08 Jun 05

Try this if the optical drives are not appearing in My Computer or Device Manager. This is sometimes caused by the removal of Roxio software. Run regedit and navigate to registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values. Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them. Close regedit and restart the computer. If in doubt make a restore point before making changes. click here

worsley 16:59 02 Apr 06

I am having this trouble, I tried the regedit but there was no upperfilter in the folder, any ideas????

The problem began after I had uninstalled Pinnacle Studio 9. At the outset of uninstalling a window appeared warning "Some essential Drivers needed to run your computer may also be uninstalled - do you wish to proceed?"
I uninstalled Pinnacle Studio 9 and consequently the Drivers for the CD-Rom were also automatically uninstalled. The only way to get around this problem was to re-boot the computer from the original Windows XP programme.This did the trick for me.Hope you will also be successful.
Dai Bach

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…