CD Rewriter

morganmight 08:57 15 Aug 03

What is the best and not so exspensive cdrewriter currently on the market.
My computer is only an AMD500 using approx 350mb of memory and i do alot of video editing and generally it works fine.I know a faster,more efficient machine would be better,but current finances do not allow me to upgrade.
I would like to know in your opinion whether you think some more ram would improve the system and to give me a good idea on the best(reasonably priced)CDrewriter/DVDwriter.Also what is the best way to connect the ribbon cables,bearing in mind i have two harddrves(master and slave)and obviosly an existing cdrom drive.
Sorry if this a little long winded.
Any help thanks.

dazzling (work) 09:04 15 Aug 03

have a look at the pca top 10 for writers.i would put the writer as slave to your cd if you get problems you might have to put it on by itself.darren

Jester2K II 09:05 15 Aug 03

"some more ram would improve the system?"

ALWAYS!!!

morganmight 12:17 15 Aug 03

Thanks jester for your reply.
Dazzling.
What is the pca for top writers!
and what do you mean put the writer on by itself?

leo49 12:34 15 Aug 03

You shouldn't have to pay more than £45 for a top spec 52x Writer - a friend of mine has just fitted this rebadged Liteon from SVP to his P2 lower spec machine than yours and it works great.

{HA 404} Tx Uranus2 (Rebranded Liteon) 52x Write 32x rewrite 52x read Internal (BURN PROOF) IDE CD ReWriter

click here

Should be installed as Master with your existing CDRom as slave.

Regards

barrie_g 12:40 15 Aug 03

PCWorld are currently doing a SONY 52x cd writer for £39.99 just bought one this morning to replace my now defunct liteon (dont ask) and up to now it really is the dogs dangly bits.

The Sack 12:41 15 Aug 03

Jester2K II

Adding RAM does not always improve the system at all mate. If you have 350MB and only ever use 250MB what performance increase do you expect to get?

Retail Lite-On 52x32x52x £30.83 Inc VAT click here

The Sack 12:41 15 Aug 03

The Sony drive is a Liteon BTW :-)

barrie_g 12:44 15 Aug 03

It may be but it still works a hell of a lot better than my LiteOn badged writer ever did!

Here is the PCW link click here

morganmight 16:16 18 Aug 03

Hi,sorry i've not replied earlier,thanks for your ideas,it seems they have come down alot in price since i last purchased a cdwriter.
The Sack.
How do you know how much ram you are using at any given one time,like i said in my original thread,i have approx 350MB of ram,if i increased this would it not make video editing faster.

Stuartli 16:35 18 Aug 03

Rewriters from top brand names cost around £30 upwards for the latest models, half or less what they were nine months to a year ago.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…