CD Recovery.....Security updates a problem !

dezi 00:44 04 May 09

I had to do a CD recovery on my laptop, XP (genuine Microsoft Windows). I have an unusual problem now and cannot access any Microsoft sites for security updates, nor my anti virus and spyware sites for updates,I always receive.... "The page cannot be displayed".
"ALL" other sites can be accessed without any trouble what-so-ever.
I have tried various things without success, and need some help.

Sea Urchin 09:24 04 May 09

Re-register the Windows Update DLL with the commands below

Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.

Type the following commands. Press ENTER after each command (note the space after regsvr32)

regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wups2.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Attempt to run Windows Update

dezi 12:49 04 May 09

Thanks Urchin....I will try this tonight and let you know.

cheap 13:46 04 May 09

Can you see this web page click here

If you cant you may have been exposed to the conficker worm.

From what your symptoms are such as not being able to connect to security sites it could be a possibility.

Sea Urchin 13:55 04 May 09

Not likely to be the conficker worm if dezi was updating successfully in October 2008

click here

but this problem is not uncommon after you repair a Windows XP installation, as dezi has done.

dezi 22:19 04 May 09

cheap / urchen... I cannot see cheaps'page. Get the "Page cannot be displayed. Wondering what to do ?!

Sea Urchin 22:30 04 May 09

Don't panic - even if you had the conficker worm (which I think is highly unlikely) you would still see the page, but not in its full form. So this is part of the problem you already have. Did you try re-registering the update.dll? And can you get to the link in my previous post? If so follow that through and try the scan.

dezi 23:30 04 May 09

Urchin....i also get "The page cannot be displayed" on your link. I will try your register fix now.

dezi 00:34 05 May 09

Urchin....I entered the dll's, all were accepted but unfortunately my dillema remains so will just put up with it. No Microsoft windows page will open for updates nor my security progs pages, but all others ok. I also get message window popping up re download from click here, had a look but staying away. Thanks for your time.

phono 01:15 05 May 09

I know it looks similar to Sea Urchin's advice but try the following:

1. Quit all programs that are running.

2. Click Start, and then click Run.

3. Type "regsvr32 jscript.dll" (without the quotation marks), and then click OK.

4. When you receive the "DllRegisterServer in urlmon.dll succeeded" message, click OK.

If this does not resolve the problem, repeat inputting the following commands and click OK after each command.

regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wuauserv.dll (May have the error " DllRegisterServer entry point was not found". It is normal.)
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll
regsvr32 iuengine.dll (May have the error " DllRegisterServer entry point was not found". It is normal.)

Sea Urchin 10:17 05 May 09

Firstly I recommend that nobody clicks on your link in the latest posting - Restorefix is a particularly nasty virus and is quite likely to be causing many of your problems.

I don't think we ever established why you were doing a "CD Recovery" in the first place - was it because you were infected? In which case it wouldn't have solved the problem.

Ideally you need to try running Malwarebytes click here and SuperAntiSpyware click here - although you presumably cannot download them at present. Could you download on another PC to a USB flash drive and then try and run them?

If that fails then it's looking like you may have to do a clean reinstall from your CD.

Try and run the two programs in safe mode to begin with, and then if successful in normal mode - keep on until they find nothing more.

Good luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…