CD Record Player download required.

spuds 15:02 17 Oct 06

Having problems with Windows Media Player (again). Tried to do a re-install, but now being told my computer is not compatible.

Can you suggest a very straightforward and easy to use download. Just downloaded a program called Orange, but baffled how to set this up, due to no help support seemingly unavailable.

Not being able to listening to some music whilst surfing is terrible!.

Diemmess 15:47 17 Oct 06

"now being told my computer is not compatible."
Not compatible with what?

Isn't there a generic CD player within your OS?
I'm running W2000 and think there is one in most OSs from 98 onwards.

As a temporary stopgap have a look in Start > Programs > Accessories > Entertainment - for CD Player. No bells or whistles it simply does what it says.

Stuartli 16:18 17 Oct 06

Irfanview can also be used through its multimedia plugin as a CD and MP3 player.

click here

You will need to also download the plug-ins.

PS

If you don't have XP, you will need WMP9 or earlier or WMP Classic Player (included in the standard K-Lite codecs pack from click here)

spuds 18:33 17 Oct 06

According to the error message, Media Player is not compatible to XP on the computer. I am then linked through to Microsoft Help Center. Information received doesn't resolve the issue.

Regarding Start/Entertainment procedure, the problem gives an error message that I do not have a sound device installed, or the sound device is being used by something else. Run a check, and sound system shows as normal and working.

Had similar problem before with Media Player, which self corrected itself, never did find the reason why. On the occasion's yesterday and today. Media will or will not work, after a number of reboots. Possibly computer may need reformatting. Didn't want to do this, if someone had similar problems with possible solutions.

Re Irfanview, I'll check that out.

Thanks guys.

Diemmess 19:31 17 Oct 06

I'm certain you realise that the ideas so far ignore the fundamental question -- Why doesn't WMP work?
Perhaps the hint about the sound card might be a lead?
Device Manager for yellow triangles and perhaps remove just the sound drivers and reboot?

Where you say you have checked the sound, is this with an audio player plugged into the Line_In port?

You have possibly been over this ground, but discussion might point you to another way of finding out what is corrupt.

Better luck anyway!

rdave13 19:46 17 Oct 06

Try winamp free version click here

spuds 22:07 17 Oct 06

Everything as returned back to normal,and Media Player is working again after a few reboots, just like last time. Still a little bit of a mystery though!.

Problem resolved, till next time.Thanks again everyone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now