CD- re writer no longer play or burn cd's

pixie-me 09:28 27 Nov 05

Hi, I am not very good with the technical side of the PC.
As of today my cd/rw will not copy from my pc to disk or play any other disks.
The LED light flashes at the start of any attempt but then wizard or nero comes up with "insert disk". It is not recognising the writer at all.
I have opened up the tower and checked connections etc. all appear ok.
I went to the nero sight and downloaded an update as I thought my windows xp may have updated and this may be causeing it.
So far no luck, do you thnk it is struffed or any suggestions in "simple instructions" would be appreciated. Thanks

Stuartli 09:44 27 Nov 05

As you have checked for connections being correct, go to the My Computer icon on the Desktop>right click>Properties>Hardware>Device Manager.

From DVD/CD drives, click the Plus sign (if you have more than one drive), highlight your rewriter drive and click Properties.

From the General tab ensure that Use This Device (Enable) is listed. If so, Cancel the panel, click on Uninstall in the list and then reboot.

Hopefully Windows will find Add New Hardware and your rewriter and the basic Windows CDROM driver will be reinstalled.

If this doesn't work then it could just be that your rewriter's laser has given up the ghost. If so you can buy new CD-RW rewriters for around £15 and, even better, a top brand DVD version for about double that.

pixie-me 11:19 27 Nov 05

I tried that but still not working, I think it has had it.
Thankyou anyway Stuart.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:25 27 Nov 05

No CD/DVD or CD-ROM access is missing error Code 31, Code 32, Code 19, Code 39, or Code 41
Try this if the optical drives are not appearing in My Computer or Device Manager. This is sometimes caused by the removal of Roxio software. Run regedit and navigate to registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values. Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them. Close regedit and restart the computer. If in doubt make a restore point before making changes. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…