CD-R shows full, when not!

badgery 10:03 19 Aug 03

I have been copying photos to two CD-Rs (seperately, but more or less same content to each one) over a period.
One of the discs shows 11 MB used and loads of space left(a 700MB disc) but the other shows 10.6MB and now has no space left. This is when I checked under 'Properties'.
I have been using XP to do the copying.
As a relative novice anyone tell me where I might have gone wrong?

AndySD 10:11 19 Aug 03

If you finalised (closed)the disk (even by accident) it will show as full.

badgery 10:33 19 Aug 03

Thanks AndySD, but when I use XP for copying I am unaware of any finalising or closing that I could have used by mistake??
I have been thru the process again and again and never find a way?

simongy 10:49 19 Aug 03

This has happened to me while using win2000. Even after copying one file its says there is no space left!! A cd has about 700Mb, you could waste your time and add all the files totals up and work out how much space is left!!

badgery 11:05 19 Aug 03

Thanks, Simongy, but the disc is no longer useable (when I try to copy to it the message "the disc in the drive is not a recordable CD...")appears; so I don't need to know how much space is left - cos I can't use it , anyway! I need to find out what I may have done wrong to cause this to happen.

Confab 11:28 19 Aug 03

A faulty disc can sometimes show up as full. Just make sure you back up the data on your disc.

The Sack 11:32 19 Aug 03

You are not doing anything wrong, it is the way the file system works. AFAIK a CD will only show how much is left when it has been packet wrote in which case it has used a UDF file system.

badgery 12:10 19 Aug 03

Re: reply from The Sack.
Sorry, but as a relative novice this explanation was totally indecipherable to me - now I need to explore AFAIK, 'packet wrote' and UDF file system!!!

Confab 12:43 19 Aug 03

"AFAIK" - As far as I know

"Packet Wrote" and "UDF" are terms used when you use your CD drive like a big floppy so you an drap and drop files to the CD. It's used on a CDRW not a CDR.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…