CD-R read only

cagey 22:20 03 Mar 03

I have saved some Excel files on a CD-R disk. When I opened them from the CD-R disk they are marked as READ ONLY and I can't save them. Is there a way around this?

powerless 22:24 03 Mar 03

Usually Right click the file > Properties > Take the tic out of READ ONLY FILE...

Becuase there on CD-R i dont think you can do this...

AndySD 22:29 03 Mar 03

You need to move them back onto the PC then follow powerless's advice... you can change them will need to reburn then to the cd to save them there.

cagey 22:29 03 Mar 03

Powerless---I tried your suggestion, but as you ended up saying this did not work. Any more suggestions anyone?

User-312386 22:34 03 Mar 03

as AndySD has said, the files need to be moved back to computer to remove the "read only" attributes

Read only on cdr/cd-rw is what it says "read only"

cagey 22:44 03 Mar 03

AndySD and madboy33---I have tried moving them back to puter, right clicked the file > Properties then unticked Read Only box but got a message "Access Denied" therefore could not proceed. Help??

Pesala 23:05 03 Mar 03

Access is denied if the file is open in Excel when you try to remove the read-only attribute. Do this using Windows Explorer before you open the file, or if you have done some work on it and want to save it, use the Save As option from the file menu and give it a new name, or save it in a different folder.

cagey 23:20 03 Mar 03

Pesala---I have tried to remove the read only attribute in Windows Explorer before I opened the file, but still get the message "Access Denied". Am I missing something??

woodchip 23:27 03 Mar 03

If you first format the disc before you use it it will not change the attributes but as you know you can only right once to a CDR you cannot save over a file by replacing it. You can with CDRW if you Format first

Ironman556 23:36 03 Mar 03

What cd-writing software do you use? If you use Nero, you'll probably have In-CD somewhere, or Adaptec's Direct CD. Use one of these to format a CD-R or a CD-RW (an RW would be better as long as you keep a back-up on hdd or somthing). You should then be able to ave directly to the CD. If you use a CD-R, your data is more secure, but you will run out of space eventually. This way the old file will be "deleted" according to the computer, but will remain on the disc, just unaccessable. If you use a CD-RW then you'll be able to use it like a floppy, or Hdd this way.

Alternatively you can try copying the file to hard disk, setting the properties and then opening the file as suggested above.

Ironman. (Hope that makes some sort of sense)

AndySD 23:39 03 Mar 03

Go to the cd in My Computer and right click choose explore... then right click on the excel document and choose copy..... go back to the desktop and right click and choose copy. Now right click on the excel document on the desktop and try to change the properties.

What operating system are you using?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…