cd-r problem

I have just bought a cd-rw drive.But when I save any progs. onto a cd it appears to be full, even though it has only used up about 62mb. Also my computer tells me I have 3 dvd disk drives installed when I only have 2. The odd one is called GENERIC STEALTH.Even if I remove it in the system properties,it appears again when I boot up.
Has anyone got any ideas?.
Frank

johnOcookj88 23:25 27 Jan 03

When you burn on to a CDR (even if you only put a small amount of data on it) the burning program will write over the entire disc. This is because a table of contents is written onto the disc and this cannot be amended later. When you put a disc with any burned data in the CDRW drive attempting to insert more you will get a message saying the disc cannot be written onto any further. There's no way round this for CDRs. CDRWs however can be overwritten and re-used but again not added to after disc has been burned.

pc moron 23:30 27 Jan 03

Which OS?

Which burning software are you using?

Which make of CD-RW?

woody 23:46 27 Jan 03

What does "burned" mean?

Thanks guys. I didn't realize that it filled the cd regardless of how much was recorded on it. Seems a bit of a waste though doesn't it?. However I still don't know why I have that extra and non usable cd drive which appears in the list af hardware.
Frank.

pc moron 18:20 28 Jan 03

When you write data to a CD the system will also write additional information so it knows where to find the actual data you have written.

If you write a small amount of data to the CD then you should have lots of room to add more data at a later time.

It will not use an entire CD unless you tell it to by selecting "no furthe writing possible" or something similar.

obbit 18:24 28 Jan 03

I use nero 5.5 and it has inCD which you can use to format a cdrw disk and use it as a big floppy. add to and delete when you wish.

no doubt there are other programs to do the same

Stuartli 19:48 28 Jan 03

A CD-R can be written to until it is full by using it in multisession mode and importing the previous files each time you add new ones.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple