CD-R not recognised

corc2 19:59 26 Sep 03

I've installed a Sony CD-R and although it is recognised by Windows (98SE) none of the CD burning software I have tried - Nero Express or NTI CD Maker - sees the drive. They will both only allow me to create an image on the HDD. CD-R is on 2nd IDE as slave to DVD-ROM master. Is it worth changing them over?

mark500 20:18 26 Sep 03

Yes change them. One drawback though, is that the HDD on the same cable will be slowed to the CD-R(Rom) Drive speed. But I run on Primary IDE 1xhdd & 1xDVD ROM, Secondary IDE 1xDVD-RW & 1X HDD. I notice no slow down but maybe i'm just used to it. If you want to copy CD to CD it is always advisable to have them on different IDE channels.

SEASHANTY 20:42 26 Sep 03

Maybe the two applications are conflicting with each other. Try uninstalling one then see if it works. I have a problem with Nero on this machine and its an OEM copy of Nero that came bundled with the Sony CD-RW drive. I replaced the Sony with a faster TDK CD-RW drive and because I have done that Nero will not burn. It lets me copy to the HDD but refuses to burn. Fortunately I also have Roxio Easy CD Creator installed and burn with that. Have to dump the Nero created files tho'

krypt1c 21:11 26 Sep 03

The answer may have been provided by Seashanty. OEM versions of nero [i think] only work with the brand of hardware it comes with. So if you've an OEM version ???? If that is the problem you can get a copy of nero 5.5 for £14.00 from click here

krypt1c 21:14 26 Sep 03

Something else I should have said is that as Mark500 said there may be a conflict between the 2 applications. There was a thread about NTI Cd Maker v Nero you might want to try and find.

corc2 13:24 28 Sep 03

Thanks to all. I upgraded Nero and it now rocognises the drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…