Cd-R cd's

Thomo1 12:46 10 Jan 05

as from my previous thread click here i am still having major probs copying cd,s.

I am wasting many cd's trying and was wondering if there is anyway you can delete the data on a cd-r, so i can re-use it!!!!???

I tried copying from the HD and that just said windows media player cannot recognise the data on the cd, pree ok to try anyway cuz sometimes it can!!!!???? (pure irish if ive heard some)

Annoying!!!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:59 10 Jan 05

CD-R =Record Write once, CD-RW =Rewrite Write many times.

Copying CD problems.

1. CD is copy righted and protected

2. CD player and writer on same IDE cable (copying on the fly)

3. CD writer does not like the type of disks you are using

4. DMA not set on IDE channel for writer.

5. You have two or more burning programs on your PC. they are conflicting switch off (disable)windows writer (XP), uninstall roxio or nero.

Gongoozler 13:07 10 Jan 05

Thomo1, what software are you using to burn your CDs?

bretsky 13:31 10 Jan 05

You cannot reuse a CD-R if all space has been used, however if you have free space left on the disc, you can add to it,provided you have not selected 'write once' in your recording software program.

If you use, say 200 Mbs of space on a CD-R disc and you delete the 200 Mbs, you still only have 500 Mbs of free space, the data is still there but not shown to you.

You should use rewritable{RW}media if you intend to update or go over,reuse data, and will need to be formatted with your burning program's software, that's why CD-R media is so popular.

All other comments as Fruit Bat /\0/
bretsky ;0)

mattyc_92 14:26 10 Jan 05

You can delet some of the data on a CD-R, but only if it is a "multisession" disk, but I wouldn't recommend it

Stuartli 15:52 10 Jan 05

You can't, as rightly pointed out, rewrite over a CD-R, but you can avoid wasting its storage capacity by using it in multisession mode until it is full.

NeroBurningRom and EasyCD Creater for a start offer the facility.

In any case using CD-RW disks is not a good idea as their reflectivity levels are only a fraction of those of CD-R (because of the methods used to enable them to continue being used), which makes it difficult for many CD-ROM drives or CD players to read them other than the original drive.

Thomo1 18:00 10 Jan 05

"1. CD is copy righted and protected

2. CD player and writer on same IDE cable (copying on the fly)

3. CD writer does not like the type of disks you are using

4. DMA not set on IDE channel for writer.

5. You have two or more burning programs on your PC. they are conflicting switch off (disable)windows writer (XP), uninstall roxio or nero."

1. Some cd's nero has shown as copyrighted BUT meatloaf as an example is copyrighted and will not copy on my system BUT did copy on my m8s system who uses nero like me.

2. Preety sure they are not. Master drive is IDE slot 1 and im sure i put the slave drive on the IDE slot behind it, which im guessing id IDE 2? Also Copy on the fly option is ticked in the Nero copying wizard.

3. Some copies work but some dont. Copied 4 cd's other day 1 after another and 2 worked (Bryan Adams and Queen) and 2 never worked (Meatloaf and REM)

4. Will have a look at that with the info you have given me on the other thread.

5. Have Nero installed only. How do i turn off the Windows XP copier??

Thanks to others advise also.

Thomo1 22:52 10 Jan 05

Just noticed summat else when nero starts playing up.

In the recorder buffer level/state box the info reads:

When the read buffer level is fine and at 100% it says " Phillips PCRW5232P : Lead-in."

When the read buffer level drops down to 49% (about 30% into the copy) it then changes and reads " Phillips PCRW5232P : Track"

Thomo1 22:56 10 Jan 05

also noticed that in "My computer" my D: now has a dick as the icon and it has a green medical cross on it. it is also called ENHANCED (D:).

Jeez this cd writer and nero has started to cause mayhem im just gunna rip it out and take it back to Dixons i think and tell um wot they can do with it!!!

Thomo1 22:59 10 Jan 05

Also just tried to copy a Linkin Park CD and when i go to play it back in Windows Media Player it says:

The selected file has an extension that is not recognised by Windows Media Player, but the player still may be able to play it. Because the extension is unknown by the player, you should be sure that the file comes from a trust-worhty source.

Then when i clear that and press play i get:

The disk media is not recognized. It may not be formatted.

Is this god damn nero rubbish actually copying anything???

Thomo1 23:00 10 Jan 05

Also just tried to copy a Linkin Park CD and when i go to play it back in Windows Media Player it says:

The selected file has an extension that is not recognised by Windows Media Player, but the player still may be able to play it. Because the extension is unknown by the player, you should be sure that the file comes from a trust-worhty source.

Then when i clear that and press play i get:

The disk media is not recognized. It may not be formatted.

Is this god damn nero rubbish actually copying anything???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now