CD-R and CD-RW

polonius 15:59 16 Dec 04

Another dumb question! My friend wants to edit text 'burned' to CD-RW and use it same as, e.g., M'soft Word. I say it can't be done. Can it? What's the difference between CD-R and CD-RW?

User-312386 16:49 16 Dec 04

CD-R is Once only Write

CD-RW is re-writable

You can not re-save the same file on a CD-RW, but you can re-write to it.

What you have to do is save it to hard disc and then reburn onto a CD-RW

Bapou 16:51 16 Dec 04

When you burn to CD files become read only, to edit copy back to hard drive do your editing and re burn. There is an alternative, Nero's InCd for instance, this will format a CDRW to be used as you would a floppy disc, just a lot bigger. Then you can edit as you wish.

Gongoozler 16:51 16 Dec 04

Hi plonius. I'm not sure I completely understand the question, but I'll try based on a few assumptions. First the difference between CD-R and CD-RW. In both you can write data as long as you have the the correct sort of drive and the software to do it, e.g. Nero. With a CD-R once you have written data to the disk it is permanent. With a CD-RW the written data can be erased and the disk used again, up to about 1000 times. With the correct software such as InCD, the CD-RW can be used as a very large floppy disk, but this is often found to be unreliable.

Because the data written to a CD is the same as any other drive, you can edit it in the same way as data on any other drive, with the exception that you can't put that file back onto the same CD-R except in a new folder and then only if the disk is multisession. With InCD, I think (and hopefully someone will back me up here) you can put the edited file back on the disk only if you delete the original first. Another thing to bear in mind is that CD-R stores files as Read Only, so you will need to change the name or attribute to save the file anyway.

Stuartli 16:59 16 Dec 04

A CD-R can be written to as many times as required until it is full by using multisession mode (that's adding files, programs etc of course and not overwriting).

polonius

To find out the exact differences between a CD-R and a CD-RW disk go to:

click here

You'll find the difference between an audio/music CD, a CD-R and a CD-RW disk and how a burner works.

User-312386 17:01 16 Dec 04

Thats what i meant mate in a round-a-bout way...LOL

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…