CD-R brand preferences

astronomer2 14:00 22 Dec 03

I recently bought a MSI CR52-A2 CD-RW drive on the basis of a couple PCA reviews. Sure enough the drive is much more reliable than my old x5 writer but it wont burn CDs at anywhere near the claimed x52 speed and always sets itself at x16, or x20 topside, for mixed data, Word docs and JPEGs etc.(not music).

Several of your readers have suggested that some CD drives work best with certain brands of CDs. Can anyone tell me the optimum brand for this MSI writer or does it come down to trial and error? I am using the bundled Nero Burning 5.5 software and usually use Sony x52 700MB CD-R disks.

Thanks.

Sheila-214876 14:12 22 Dec 03

astronomer2, I also have the same drive as you (just bought) I use unbranded CDRs from click here at about £18 for 100. Not had any problem burning them. I never burn CDs at the maximum, I always go for one below max. You also have to note that although your burners max is 52x the CD disks may not be. The disks I buy are max 48x. Check out the CDs you are using they may only be 20x max. As an afterthought I also use CD/RW disks but only ever burn them at 4x

Djohn 14:15 22 Dec 03

ennuye, I see you live in the same area as me and use the same supplier! ;o)

Stuartli 14:41 22 Dec 03

this thread...

click here

astronomer2 15:43 22 Dec 03

Interesting comment Stuartli. I'll certainly try the Imation CDs.

Smiler 18:34 22 Dec 03

For a full list of recommended media for the CR52 go here click here

Click on recommended disc on the left of the page for a full list of media and speeds.

astronomer2 10:19 23 Dec 03

Thanks all.

accord 10:38 23 Dec 03

ive used imation 48x, verbatim 48x and philips 48x and have had no problems with them at all. im a firm beleiver in 'you get what you pay for'

Stuartli 14:29 23 Dec 03

Safeway is selling Sony 32x CD-Rs with cases (10 to a pack) for £3.49 from December 27th to 31st.

Unfortunately, like all its special offers, it is limited to three per customer...:-)

So Morrisons and its three packs of Imation 48x CD-Rs for a tenner (as many packs as you want) still rules the roost amongst the supermarket chains....!

Roll on the day when Morrisons finally does takeover Safeway.

Stuartli 14:38 23 Dec 03

The media brands you mention, apart from Verbatim, are manufactured by Taiyo Yuden Company Limited - firms rebranding its media include 3M, Sony, Philips and Imation.

Taiyo Yuden is regarded as one of the best quality media manufacturers in the world.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…