CD problem

coolteentom 16:39 14 Dec 03

About a year ago, I had to reinstall from Win 98 SE back to WIN 98, because of a virus. Eventually I had to send to computer doctors to get fixed. Ever since, the internal CD-ROM and internal CD-RW (Manually connected to system, worked before virus) freeze the system if there is any CD-recording software on it. This means I cannot use my CD-RW.

Does anyone have any ideas??

Thanks, Tom

-Does the following have anything to do with it:

Hard Drive. Primary Controller - Master Drive.

CD-ROM. Secondary Controller - Master Drive.

CD-RW. Primary Controller - Slave Drive.

Stuartli 16:45 14 Dec 03

Your rewriter and CD=ROM should both be on the secondary IDE channel with the rewriter set as Master and the CD-ROM as Slave; enable DMA for both.

If you use Nero it will control the operation of both drives during a burning session.

hugh-265156 16:46 14 Dec 03

i would put both cd drives on the secondary ide

cd writer as master

cdrom as slave to it

Stuartli 16:47 14 Dec 03

Auto Insert Notification should be disabled for the CD-ROM drive if the burning software controls its operation.

It's also wise not to use a rewriter for anything other than burning - use the CD-ROM for audio, installing software etc - as longevity is not a word associated with rewriters...:-)

It's also cheaper to replace a CD or DVD-ROM drive than a rewriter although, to be fair, the latter have come down to remarkable prices recently.

coolteentom 16:52 14 Dec 03

Thanks for your help. Should I download a trial of Nero software, or is there a way to manually change these IDE settings?

coolteentom 16:54 14 Dec 03

Also, do you think that this IDE setting is the reason why the computer is freezing?

hugh-265156 16:56 14 Dec 03

there is no better than nero 6 in my opinion,give it a go.

the ide set up may not be the problem but its normally best practice to set up as above.

you will need to open the case and change the cables and jumpers on the drives.

coolteentom 16:59 14 Dec 03

Thanks. I'll try Nero.

coolteentom 17:03 14 Dec 03

Do you think the following will be OK?

Nero 6 Download, Package 2:

NeroVision Express 2
Nero ShowTime
Nero Recode

Smiler 18:46 14 Dec 03

No you need package 1 & 2 for ful functionality of nero Packege 3 as it says is InCD for packet writing of CDRW discs. Package 4 is only for playing media files and requires Direct X 9.0 to operate.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…