cd playing problems

maccster 11:45 04 Apr 04

i insert a cd into my drive on my toshiba laptop and nothing happens. ive no idea why, it was working fine just the other day. can anybody help please?

Diodorus Siculus 14:48 04 Apr 04

Will the drive recognise any CDs; data or music?

Is it visible in the device manager / windows explorer?

Stuartli 14:57 04 Apr 04

Are you using XP?

This is copied and pasted from Help and Support to save typing...:-)

Then open My Computer. Under Devices with Removable Storage, right-click the CD-ROM drive and click Properties.

On the AutoPlay tab click the multimedia content type you want to change.

Under Actions, click the action you want Windows to perform after it detects the media type you selected.

Stuartli 14:58 04 Apr 04

If above doesn't work, try removing the CD-ROM form Device Manager and then rebooting.

Windows should detect the drive and reinstall the basic CDROM driver (all that is required) and the drive itself.

cycoze 18:32 04 Apr 04

Assuming its running XP ,Put a cd into the drive then go into `My Computer` and right click the drive and select `Open` , you should now see the contents of the disc , if you dont see the contents t isnt an autoplay problem but a drive/driver problem.

If you can see the contents , then it is an auto play problem , download and run The Microsoft AutoPlay Repair Wizard from click here .

maccster 19:49 04 Apr 04

i've tried what the first four replys suggested with no joy so far. can anybody else please help.

cycoze 20:04 04 Apr 04

What happens when you right click the drive and select `Open` when a cd is in it ?

Diodorus Siculus 20:12 04 Apr 04

That way, others can offer help too.

Received by email:

no it's not recognising it.

Smudge 22:07 04 Apr 04

maccster, try searching the helproom. I had a similar problem and installed tweakui as advised in an earlier post and it sorted the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos