CD or DVD

Simsy 19:39 24 Jan 10

Folks,

2 questions, one specific, one generic...

I am in the process of setting up a new laptop for a friend. She has given me her (genuine Microsoft) Office Home and Student 2007 disc, purchased for approx £60 a couple of years ago, (or thereabouts)...

It's in a DVD case...

However, I've copied the contents to the HDD, to install from there, rather than the DVD drive, (as I find the process quicker and quieter that way!), and the contents of the disc seem to total a little over 300Mb.

Now this will easily fit on a CD...

So why is it on a DVD?
Or is it really a CD in a DVD case?

And as a follow up, in a generic sense, is there anyway of telling, JUST BY LOOKING AT IT, if a disc is a CD or DVD?

At work we are often required to burn audio to disc, but the discs are supplied on an ad hoc basis by the requester. They are completely plain and on occasion we've been given DVDs instead of CDs, or vice versa. Experience means I can usually tell by the colour of the disc... but not always...

Are there some specific markings to indicate one from the other does anyone know?

Thanks,

Regards,

Simsy

Paddylad 19:49 24 Jan 10

Simsy, I've just placed an unmarked disc in my DVD drive, went to My Computer and The item was marked as a CD-R Hope that helps.

Mr Mistoffelees 19:52 24 Jan 10

"Or is it really a CD in a DVD case?"

Software CDs are often supplied in DVD style cases, nothing unusual there.

Paddylad 19:54 24 Jan 10

Same result with a DVD, labelled DVD-R.

Simsy 19:59 24 Jan 10

Paddylad... Yes I knew you could do that... I wondered if there was a way of telling just by looking at the disc.

Mr Mistoffelees... So it's a CD then?

Regards,

Simsy

Simsy 20:01 24 Jan 10

I've just realised that on the system requirements list is lists;
CD-ROM or DVD Drive
Which suggests that it is indeed a CD.

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…