CD gone AWOL

jack 22:22 02 Apr 03

The replacement CD player on an old machine being refurbished, did not like the single IDE [0] set up.
So a new cable and set it up on IDE 1
Worked fine
Loaded the O/S and all the other goodies
Then the Drive Icon goes AWOL from 'My Computer'.
Then it comes back and the drive spins on auto but does not read.
Clicking the drive icon, gives the 'Drive Not Ready' warning, though the drive is going frantic.
Whats amiss?
J

CD gone AWOL

The replacement CD player on an old machine being refurbished, did not like the single IDE [0] set up.
So a new cable and set it up on IDE 1
Worked fine
Loaded the O/S and all the other goodies
Then the Drive Icon goes AWOL from 'My Computer'.
Then it comes back and the drive spins on auto but does not read.
Clicking the drive icon, gives the 'Drive Not Ready' warning, though the drive is going frantic.
Whats amiss?
J

AndySD 23:34 02 Apr 03

Which Operating system?

Ben_uk 03:11 03 Apr 03

My CD-ROM also played up recently, following a "Spring Clean" including replacing flat Ide cables with new round ones. Eventually I discovered that I had the Master/Slave connections the wrong way round between the CD-ROM and the CD-RW, also one of the jumpers was incorrectly set, so it was amazing that anything worked at all.I confused myself by checking what System Properties was showing. The only way to check is to physically look at the Ide cable connections plus check the jumpers. Having done done this there are no more problems. My set up is now as it should be:

Primary - Hard Drive on Master
(nothing on Slave)

Secondary - CD-RW on Master
CD-ROM on Slave

So an extra carefull check of your Ide cable connections and jumpers ( I had been certain mine were correct, but they weren't!) might prove helpful.
Also the round cables aren't worth the bother!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…