CD Exploded in Drive???

agostini 16:06 06 Feb 06

Hi
I have just been installing a program to my PC
when the disk i was using shattered into a 100 pieces inside my drive. Do you think this will be a fault with the CD or with my drive.

Ago

jimv7 16:10 06 Feb 06

I have seen this happen, if the drive is still under warranty, send it back with the pieces of cd still in it, if you attempt to remove the bits, they can say that you have opened the drive and have damaged it yourself.

Stuartli 16:11 06 Feb 06

It has happened before - it's due to centrifugal force on the disk - and has been raised in the fourms on previous occasions.

Try taking the drive out (after opening the tray) and seeing how much of the fragments can be removed.

See:

click here

click here

click here

click here

Stuartli 16:13 06 Feb 06

I doubt it would be covered by warranty - it's normally caused by a faulty disk rather than the drive.

The drive will have been operating perfectly satisfactorily.

Chegs ®™ 16:16 06 Feb 06

When mine exploded I nearly needed clean pants. I removed the drive,opened it up and spent an hour cleaning the bits out the workings.The hardest to get out were the foil pieces,as they were absolutely everywhere.My CD dying was due to a fault with the CD being out-of-balance due to a tiny nick from the edge when I launched it as the drive was being picky over what disc it would/wouldn't read. :-)

agostini 16:18 06 Feb 06

Yes Thanks-jimv7/Stuartli.
I think it will have been the CD as it is a few years old.Problem is it was disk 2 from 8 of my works suite 2000.I think the links you sent explain it all .

Thanks again
Ago

Stuartli 16:22 06 Feb 06

One reason why I've never stuck labels on my CD-Rs...:-)

Stuartli 16:27 06 Feb 06

>>I think the links you sent explain it all .>>

I recall posting one link that detailed experiments conducted with CD disks on drives that were capable of up to around 75x - eventually some of them did shatter.

Remember when audio CDs were originally conceived they worked at 1x - it's the computer industry that's mainly sought to raise drive speeds up to 52x (and even 54x in the case of some manufacturers) over the years.

jimv7 17:04 06 Feb 06

Stuartli,

On the one occasion that I was involved with, the drive was under warranty, sent back with the pieces in, and replaced, with the damage to the cdrw and all the bits in it was cheaper to replace the drive than blame the cd.

Stuartli 18:19 06 Feb 06

You have an understanding retailer then or it didn't noticed that there were bits of CD in the drive...:-)

It is not a case for a replacement under warranty as the drive is not the cause of the problem.

SG Atlantis® 18:26 06 Feb 06

It was the drive that caused the cd to break up. Can the manufacturer prove that the disk had something wrong with it in the first place?

I'm not trying to argue a point here, just looking at it from the other side and wanting to know. Can the mfr check which was at fault the disk or the drive?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009