CD to DVD upgrade?

cytometry 17:08 16 Dec 06

Can I replace my CD drive with a newly purchased DVD drive or does the motherboard need to be of a minimum standard?

splatter 17:11 16 Dec 06

As long as both drives use IDE connectors then it should be a simple task to swap them.

cytometry 17:14 16 Dec 06

Wow! That was a quick response. Thanks very much.

cytometry 17:15 16 Dec 06

Thankyou.

Totally-braindead 17:16 16 Dec 06

Just unplug the CD and plug in the DVD in its place. The only thing you have to make sure of is that the new drive is set the same as the old one. By this I mean if the CD was set as a slave then you set the DVD as a slave.

Stuartli 17:17 16 Dec 06

You will also (if you are using both drives) need to jumper the DVD drive as Master and the CD drive as Slave.

It's wise to use your original drive for software installation, audio CDs etc and the DVD drive (I'm presuming it's a rewriter) purely for burning.

Blitzer 17:17 16 Dec 06

As splatter says as long as the CD and DVD drives both use the IDE to connect to the motherboard there should be no problems. Also, as long as you are using Windows 95 or above you won't need to install any drivers or software. It should be a simple case removing the CD drive and fitting the DVD in it's place and of course connecting the relevant cables which should also be obvious. In a nut shell a piece of cake you should have no problems. :)

Stuartli 20:57 16 Dec 06

In actual fact the drive(s) will use the basic Windows CDROM driver (all that is required, apart from a burning program), but it is installed automatically when you reboot after installing the drive(s).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac