CD and DVD RW drives disappeared from Windows Xp

jagx400 19:32 10 Nov 05

I switched on my Pc today and my dvd and dvd rewriter have disappeared from windows, if I go into device manager it says the drivers are not installed, I never installed any , and it has been working fine. I ran detect new hardware but no joy, Where have the drivers gone.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:58 10 Nov 05

Do they show up on the POST screen at start up?

No CD/DVD or CD-ROM access is missing error Code 31, Code 32, Code 19, Code 39, or Code 41
Try this if the optical drives are not appearing in My Computer or Device Manager. This is sometimes caused by the removal of Roxio software. Run regedit and navigate to registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values. Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them. Close regedit and restart the computer. If in doubt make a restore point before making changes. click here

jagx400 05:16 12 Nov 05

Sorry about the late reply, dont know why it happened but I uninstalled the drives and restsrted the pc and Windows found them and renstalled the drives, thanks for the advise.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…