cd & dvd rom disappeared from device manager

mondy 13:52 04 May 04

cd has no lights on and will not open , dvd has lights on and opens but will not play anything.
neither device is listed in device manager or anywhere else please help .

expertec 13:54 04 May 04

open up the case and check the cables are connected properly

mondy 21:53 11 May 04

thanks but everything seems fine.

alnwrd 22:29 11 May 04

in device manager, uninstall both devices and then reboot. They should both be detected on re-boot and installed by the os.

maz2 23:15 11 May 04

There seem to be a lot of cd and dvd drives disappearing from systems lately as in previous posts, I don't know what's going on, in my case is was a driver that I installed for a card reader that caused a conflict, on another occasion it was something that I had downloaded, although they disappeared from my comp they were both still in the device manager, I now have them all set to auto run although I don't know how you do this as somebody did it for me

mondy 19:43 20 May 04

solved the problem , power supply okay , unplugged ribbons from both drives , then connected ribbon to dvd drive only , making it the master , booted up , then hey presto , I have my dvd drive back .
Conclusion , cd writer a right off , now looking to purchase a dvd writer .

Thanks to all who tried to help !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…