Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs
CD DVD recorder will read but not write.
1. My coputer - right click drive -properties - Recording tab - "enable recording on the drive" is ticked.
2. Ide cable is fully inserted at rear of drive and on motherboard.
3. write laser u.s. replace drive.
sorry; xp home sp2; lappy,
recording is enabled
Have you tried different discs ? It does sound like Fruit Bat /\0/\'s idea of laser may be dying or died.
I had a very similar problem a while ago and was advised that some laptops have 2 lasers and this could be the problem as one had died.
I never knew the total result as i sold the laptop to someone at work with him knowing about the problem.I do believe he bought an external dvd writer to overcome this problem.
You could try this and reinstall the drive.This is not normally for your problem but may help.
Restore Missing CD/Dvd Drives
Missing cd/dvd drive
If it is showing an error code, 10, 39, etc., delete the drive.
Then follow these directions for clearing the Upper/Lower Filters: (might want to print this out)
1. Click on Start --> Run --> and type in 'regedit' followed by the enter key
2. Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or
3. clicking the "+" next to it.)
4. Expand the "SYSTEM" Key
5. Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key
6. Expand the "Control" Key
7. Expand the "Class" Key
8. Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:
9. High light this key by left clicking once on it
10. On the right hand side you are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these please delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"
11. Please exit the registry by clicking on the "X" in the top right hand corner of the screen
Reboot your computer
You could uninstall this drive via device manager and reboot and let xp find the drivers to see if this works.
Hope this helps.
have already re-installed the drive.
must be bad laser.
still under warenty will send it back.
Thanks again all.
This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.