CD and DVD drives not recognising inserted disks

Aeries 21:01 16 Feb 08

I have recently encountered the same problem with both my CD/DVD and DVD-RW drives. When I insert a disk the light comes on for a few seconds and then goes out, but nothing else happens. If I click on one of the drives in My Computer, I receive a message asking me to insert a disk into the drive. If I right click on either drive and go to Properties then Hardware, I am informed that this device is working properly. I have opened the computer and the cable connections for both drives appear to be in order. Any suggestions welcome, as I feel lost without these drives.

woodchip 21:15 16 Feb 08

Go into Device Manager and uninstall the drives then restart you computer and try drives

Aeries 13:56 17 Feb 08

Thanks for the suggestion woodchip. I have done as you suggested and Windows has reinstalled the drivers, but the disks are still not being recognised. Device Manager informs me that both drives are working properly, but CheckIt Diagnostics tells me that there is no disk in each of the drives when there is one there. Any further suggestions?

woodchip 14:34 17 Feb 08

then it's a faulty data cable or drive. my bet is a faulty drive. as they was recognised and installed

Aeries 15:06 17 Feb 08

There are two separate drives and two separate cables and both were working until a few days ago, although the both use the same driver C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\cdrom.sys. I wonder if there could be a motherboard problem.

feb 16:42 17 Feb 08

Hi Aeries

Sorry for the stupid question; Are you trying to read Blank or recorded discs?

Stuartli 16:53 17 Feb 08

Just for info - the rewriter should be the Master and the CD (ROM?) drive the Slave.

Uninstalling and then Reinstalling the drives individually from Device Manager usually works (the order doesn't matter as a rewriter will be D and the Slave E, unless you have other drives already installed), so it could be a faulty (or loose) IDE cable as suggested.

It would be very unlikely that the two lasers in both drives would have failed...:-)

Aeries 18:00 17 Feb 08

To answer feb's question, neither blank nor recorded disks are recognised, except that one music CD played a while ago but failed to be recognised on a second attempt!

manrow 18:14 17 Feb 08

While not necessarily relevant to the original question, my DVD recorders both on computer and stand alone are VERY fussy about which disks they will use! Is this the experience of others?

Aeries 19:39 17 Feb 08

I have now uninstalled and reinstalled the drives individually, but no luck. The CD/DVD is and always has been on D and the DVD-RW drive E. Is this important?

Perhaps the easiest solution is for me to buy an external kit such as the HP DVD940e DVD±RW External USB2.0 Lightscribe DVD Writer. Any views on this solution?

woodchip 19:42 17 Feb 08

Don't think it makes any difference what way they are connected, as long as one is Master and other Slave

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…