CD & DVD Drives gone missing

jessej 22:59 26 May 06

The CD Drive (D) and the DVD Drive (E) have disappeared from Control Panel. I checked Device Manager and they are not shown there either.
In the Send To menu they are both still listed but with a red question mark against each of them.
The only thing that comes to mind that may have caused this is that a Grand-daughter downloaded some music to an MP3 Player, but I don't understand how that might have affected them. The only reason I mention this is because I read something about this happening sometime ago, but can't recall where or what the cure was.
So, the big question is, how do I get them back?
As always, any help greatly appreciated.

RobCharles1981 23:02 26 May 06

Might be that the IDE Cables might have come loose you need too look inside your computer too check

johnnyrocker 23:02 26 May 06

if xp why not try system restore?

Stuartli 23:36 26 May 06

Uninstall both drive from Device Manager and reboot.

Windows should Find New Hardware and reinstall the drives.

jessej 10:15 27 May 06

Thank you for your replies. System Restore seems the best bet at present and I'll give it a try. I can't uninstall them from Device Manager as they are missing from there as well.

jessej 10:41 27 May 06

Since my last post, before using System Restore I checked Device Manager again, and My Computer. Both have now re-appeared and, after checking, seem to be working O.K.
So as to what happened, I think that will have to go down as one of lives mysteries, unless, of course, someone out there can give me an explanation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…