CD and DVD drives gone missing!

BryanT 19:55 20 Aug 03

With my Evesham Axiom and XP, I have suddenly lost the CD and DVD drives. On startup, I get the message "Sec Slave Drive - ATAPI incompatible. Press F1." "My computer" does not "see" these drives any more. I have emailed Evesham, but while I wait for a response, can anybody help? In case it's a software problem, I have tried restoring back to a couple of system checkpoints, but this makes no difference. Is this a hardware/firmware problem?

Barrie_G 19:59 20 Aug 03

first thing I would do is check the connections on the leads.

Do the lights flash on boot up?

spikeychris 20:02 20 Aug 03

Go to the BIOS and check that the CD-ROM hasn't been set as the set Secondary Slave rather than Auto.

Chris

Bodi 20:11 20 Aug 03

periodically with my son's computer. Sometimes the BIOS found the CDRW and sometimes it didn't. I cured the problem by going into the BIOS - sorry Spikey Chris - by setting, in this case, secondary slave, to CD-ROM, PI0, UDMA 4. Somehow the "Auto" setting was incorrectly reading the drive.

It hasn't happened since. Hope this helps,

Bodi

Bodi 20:12 20 Aug 03

"UDMA 2" - his was a 16x 10x x32 drive.

Bodi

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…