CD DVD drives don't work following region change

John Ross 00:00 29 Feb 04

I have 2 computers, and recently changed the PowerDVD and WinDVD players on each to Region 1 to play a DVD. This did not work and the programs stayed region 2.
HOWEVER, since then the DVD drive on each machine, and the CD-RW drive will not read ANY CD or DVD, whther film or data.
I don't think this is a coincidence that I am wrongfully attributing to the attempted region chamge.
I am stumped as to what to do.
Any suggestions gratefully receieved.
thank you!

The Sack 01:27 29 Feb 04

You can only change it 5 times before it locks. Flash the drive with the latest firmware or make it RPC1

slimbo51 09:14 29 Feb 04

If u want to be brave, done it on all my dvd players, you can install a new firmware program in the cd roms to get rid of forever, the region change situation.

The new firmware binary files can be found on the net.

Only thing is u MUST make sure its the correct one for your dvd drive otherwise u will end up killing the drive.

All my dvd cd roms will play any region film without having to change parameters in the software.

It also gets rid of this 5 change only situation which is in built by the Manf as mentioned by the posting from The Sack.

John Ross 09:15 29 Feb 04

This was the 1st time I have changed the region, and so I don't think that is the problem.
The 3 drives cannot identify any CD or DVD now, even my data CDs (although I am able to "populate" the drive in Device manager). Windows Explorer prompts me to insert a disk into the drive when I try to access the CD, when there is one already inserted.
Any ideas?
thanks

willhay 09:49 29 Feb 04

click here
try this

willhay 09:50 29 Feb 04

try this
click here

Rennaissance 09:53 29 Feb 04

i recommend going device manager, uninstall all your cd/dvd drives and then restart windows and reinstall them when windows says found new hardware. See if that helps.

John Ross 12:58 29 Feb 04

I cannot access my Data CDs on any of 3 DVD / CD drives on 2 computers, following 2 changes to the computer : I am unsure which did the damage, but suspect the latter:
1. I tried to chamge the region setting for PowerDVD on one PC and WinDVD on another PC. This didn't work and the setting remained Region 2 : the drives still play region 2 movies despite developing the fault of not recognising the presence of a data CD.
2. I first used a USB 2.0 pen drive on each machine around this time, which has its own small software program for access. The ports are actually USB1, but it runs fine.
I don't understand why the drives have suddenly stopped recognising the presence of a normal data CD.
I do need to access my CDs and write to disk, in the very near future.
I have tried uninstalling drivers and reloading, without any obvious change.
Any suggestions gratefully received.

John Ross 13:09 29 Feb 04

Sorry : I don't think I have described the problem well so am making a new thread : see

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…