CD & DVD Drivers - Missing/Corrupt

GregB 22:52 03 May 04

All,

Hoping for some help on which direction to go in!

My system is basically not displaying my CD/DVD drive, and also my CD-RW/DVD drive. The error message given to me by Device Manager is 'The drivers for this device cannot be found. They may be missing or corrupted.'

I think they stopped being seen after I connected my digital camera via the USB port. I've loaded my PC with the camera connected and disconnected, but the error remains constant. I've used it loads in the past without any problems (since XMas 03) - so don't understand why this would cause a conflict, and I'm even dubious as to whether it has or not.

I've tried uninstalling, and then re-installing the devices. No luck. It finds the hardware, and then displays that there were errors - and device manager gives the same error.(including after multiple system restarts).

I've tried searching the net for drivers, but they all say they are supported by plug n play, and hence don't need seperate drivers.

My next step is to make sure there connected physically, but can't believe this would be the problem.

Can anybody offer any alternatives?

Cheers

hugh-265156 23:06 03 May 04

what version of windows?

maybe try clicking:

start/run and type: sfc /scannow if winxp

type sfc if older version

insert your windows cd if prompted to do so.this will search for and replace any damaged or missing system files.

may help.

maz2 23:30 03 May 04

Have you by any chance installed a new driver for your camera, I installed a card reader driver not long ago and a drive went missing for me I unistalled and it appeared again, I had to find a new driver for the card reader but it's worth a thought

Stuartli 10:03 04 May 04

The only drivers required by CD/DVD-ROM drives and rewriters are the basic CDROM drivers in Windows.

If the drives are not being shown in My Computer then you may have inadvertently dislodged or loosened the cables or leads.

If they show up whilst in Safe Mode this is the most likely cause.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…