CD and Dvd drivers corrupted or missing - code 39

noppit 10:36 21 Jan 07

I have an HP Pavillion 462 and the dvd rom and the cd writer are not working. I have restored the system as far back as it will let me, but this did not fix it. I have followed the Troubleshooting routine and uninstalled the devices (via device manager) and used the Add HW wizard to find and reinstall. It finds them but then I get the code 39 message mentioned above. I have bought an external USB dvd writer, but of course forgot I have to run an install disk in my own PC drives (which don't work). Most grateful for any ideas. HP website has no relevant downloadable drivers, unfortunately.

€dstowe 10:40 21 Jan 07

Check here and scroll down the page click here

noppit 11:42 21 Jan 07

Thanks Edstowe - I went thro that routine a few times but always end up with a code 39, and when I use the wizard to install drivers it comes back with "couldn't find a better match for your HW than the SW you currently have installed"
The HP troubleshoot eventually gives up as well.

€dstowe 11:51 21 Jan 07

It suggests then that there is something deeply wrong with your Windows installation or with the optical drive. Have you tried replacing the drive with a new/alternative one?

If that doesn't work, and in the (presumed) absence of a full system backup, I suggest that you backup or save copies of all data you wish to retain and then repair or re-install your setup.

noppit 14:47 21 Jan 07

Thanks. No I have not tried to replace the drive, but it's odd that both cd and dvd drives would fail at the same time...I am able to back up my system and data onto an external hard drive using Drive Image 7...is your suggestion that I do this and then re-install my MS Office XP ? Not sure how I can do this as I have it on CD.

Ashrich 14:49 21 Jan 07

Can you bot from a USB port , have a look in the bios for boot options .

Ashley

postie24 14:50 21 Jan 07

Creat a restore point 1st then,

1. Click on Start --> Run --> and type
in 'regedit' followed by the enter key
2. Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or
3. clicking the "+" next to it.)
4. Expand the "SYSTEM" Key
5. Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key
6. Expand the "Control" Key
7. Expand the "Class" Key
8. Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
9. High light this key by left clicking once on it
10. On the right hand side you are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these please delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"
11. Please exit the registry by clicking on the "X" in the top right hand corner of the screen

Reboot pc

Postie24

noppit 19:57 21 Jan 07

Many thanks.

postie24 13:19 22 Jan 07

Thats ok,glad its sorted

Postie24

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced