CD & DVD drive query

CurlyWhirly 21:15 11 Sep 05

I have recently bought a new Philips sound card and towards the end of the installation process I had a BSOD (the first one for a couple of years)

click here

When I rebooted the PC I was horrified to discover that my CD and DVD drives could no longer read anything :0(

The faulty sound card driver installation has somehow corrupted the drivers as shown below:

click here

How is it possible for faulty sound card drivers to mess up my CD/DVD drives as they are totaly different things?

Also as *nothing* could be read from *either* drive I had nothing to lose and so I thought that I would attempt to restore my Drive Image 7 backup anyway and to my astonishment it worked okay!

So my other question is how come CD's or DVD's *can't* be read in the Windows environment but *can* be read when you go into the BIOS and tell it to boot from the CD/DVD drive?

Finally when it is booting from the CD/DVD drive is this in DOS mode?

p.s. I just Googled and found out that all I had to do was uninstall the driver and then click 'Scan for hardware changes' to reinstall or upgrade the driver.
I just tried this and the 2 exclamation marks were still there so is there another way to bring both drives back again without using image backup software?

Cheers.

Stuartli 21:25 11 Sep 05

The only drivers used by CD/DVD-ROM and rewriters is the basic Windows CDROM driver.

Usually Removing a drive or drives in Device Manager and then rebooting allows Windows to Find New Hardware and reinstall the driver(s).

CurlyWhirly 21:34 11 Sep 05

Well that didn't happen in my case. Very strange.

Stuartli 22:36 11 Sep 05

Have you checked that the drives' cables and leads have not been loosened or dislodged during the sound card installation - or any other leads etc for that matter?

It's easily done when installing new hardware.

You may also need to attach the audio cables to the sound card if you don't have the newer IDE cables.

Someone with the same problem:

click here (read down the page in reviews)

Is the card the PSC724/00?

There's very little on the Philips support centre pages, but it is interesting to read this particular link (about half way down):

click here

There may be more recent drivers at:

click here

click here

Stuartli 22:40 11 Sep 05

Found a drivers support area:

click here&

Will need to key in your model either from the Products page>Product Support or the search box.

Stuartli 22:41 11 Sep 05

Needs TINYurl:

click here

CurlyWhirly 23:01 11 Sep 05

Thanks for your continued offer of help :0)

I think I have made a mistake buying this card because after reading your links it seems a few people have been plagued with driver problems.

No wonder why they weren't WHQL certified!
I have already sent an e-mail to the Philips website asking for help (I have also registered by the way).

I may give them a ring tomorrow and speak to a support person as their lines are open tomorrow.

I will let you know how I get on ;0)

Chegs ® 04:16 12 Sep 05

click here

This is the Phillips Support Eng driver for the card.Its supposed to be WHQL certified(but it likely isn't as Phillips have changed their views on sound cards)

Is this the driver you tried?

Stuartli 07:22 12 Sep 05

We don't actually know which particular Philips sound card model it is at present, although the company only seems to sell this one in the UK judging by the British website.

But it has sold other models in recent years and CurlyWhirly might just have one of these - Philips never was a particularly strong name in sound cards and some could still be around.

Chegs ® 09:29 12 Sep 05

CurlyWhirly Sun, 11.09.05 | 15:25
Mmm... I don't think I am destined to get a sound card working on this PC as I have this morning bought a Philips PSC724 sound card and after trying to install the sound card drivers towards the end of the installation process I got the dreaded BSOD with the following error message:
STOP (0x0000007E) (0xC0000005), 0xAFE439DB, 0xF78D6C10, 0xF78D690C)

Stuartli 13:12 12 Sep 05

That's clearly a different thread...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…