CD-DVD drive not detected

goodtry 09:32 23 Aug 06

I’m using Windows XP Media Centre Edition Version 2002 with SP2. I downloaded the latest Windows Update definitions to my Compaq M2000 notebook. So when I restart the compute, my CD-DVD drive does not get detected.
In device manager it says: “Windows cannot load the device driver form this hardware. The driver maybe corrupted or missing. (Code 39)”.
I have tried to download the driver fro my HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4344N drive, but it is not available on the Compaq support site or on the Internet.
I also encountered another problem, the folder Options button from the Tools list seems to have disappeared. It is not there is Control Panel either. Now, all my hidden files and folders are visible and I have no way of changing the format of files.

Stuartli 09:40 23 Aug 06

An optical drive only requires the basic Windows CDROM driver - try uninstalling the drive from Device Manager and rebooting; Windows should Find New Hardware and reinstall the driver.

Does the Folder Options link appear in My Computer, Windows Explorer or other Windows pages?

Stuartli 09:42 23 Aug 06

The missing Folder Options tab can be reinstalled by finding the appropriate link at:

click here

Bit of a daunting task though...:-)

VoG II 09:43 23 Aug 06

click here line 129 left hand column.

Stuartli 09:48 23 Aug 06

Thanks VoG™ - I did say it was a bit daunting..:-)

skidzy 16:58 23 Aug 06

Restore Missing CD/Dvd Drives

Missing cd/dvd drive
If it is showing an error code, 10, 39, etc., delete the drive.

Then follow these directions for clearing the Upper/Lower Filters: (might want to print this out)

1. Click on Start --> Run --> and type in 'regedit' followed by the enter key
2. Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or
3. clicking the "+" next to it.)
4. Expand the "SYSTEM" Key
5. Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key
6. Expand the "Control" Key
7. Expand the "Class" Key
8. Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
9. High light this key by left clicking once on it
10. On the right hand side you are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these please delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"
11. Please exit the registry by clicking on the "X" in the top right hand corner of the screen

Reboot your computer

If in any doubt,please create a System Restore point first as you will be editing the registry.

Missing cd/dvd drives are normally associated with the removal of a cd burning programs such as Nero/Roxio etc.

Hope this helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…