CD DVD COMBO DOES NOT READ CDS

I have a Toshiba SD-C2502 CD DVD Combo - which will read DVDs (using VLC) however cannot get it to read any type of CD ROM at all including application disks. Windows (ME) tells me that device is fully functional and drivers installed. It seems to me that somewhere along the line something has been unloaded. Might the codecs have something to do with it?

skidzy 13:27 09 Nov 08

Not sure about ME but certainly worth a try;

Missing cd / dvd drives in Explorer

Missing cd and dvd drives and not showing in XP (My Computer) or Vista (computer) can be associated with the removal of burning software suites such as Nero/Roxio/Sonic/Easy cd creator etc and at times can produce error codes such as
Code 19, Code 31, Code 32, Code 39, or Code 41

This fix/fixes are known to work in Vista and XP and some earlier operating systems.

First step is to run the Doug Knox fix,simple and straight forward click here

If no joy with this it could be time to edit the registry and look for and remove any Upper and Lower filters.

Please read carefully and follow the instructions to the letter.

Do NOT delete anything else other than what is recommended;

1. Click on Start --> Run --> and type in 'regedit' followed by the enter key ( if Vista Start search or windows+R )
2. Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or
3. clicking the "+" next to it.)
4. Expand the "SYSTEM" Key
5. Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key
6. Expand the "Control" Key
7. Expand the "Class" Key
8. Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
9. High light this key by left clicking once on it
10. On the right hand side you are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these please delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"
11. Please exit the registry by clicking on the "X" in the top right hand corner of the screen.

Note An UpperFilters.bak registry entry may also appear. To delete the UpperFilters registry entry, you must click UpperFilters and not UpperFilters.bak.
Note Do not exit Registry Editor. You must have this program for the next step
Note An LowerFilters.bak registry entry may also appear. To delete the LowerFilters registry entry, you must click LowerFilters and not LowerFilters.bak.

Reboot your computer

.If in any doubt editing the registry,please create a System Restore point first and also backup your registry....The guidedhelp from Microsoft on backing up the registry is a good lesson for anyone to learn . click here
Creating a System Restore point:

Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore…follow the prompts.

DieSse 13:48 09 Nov 08

Very likely the drive has partially failed in the CD reading circuits or laser.

The fix above is for when the drive doesn't appear at all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017