cd into dvd

campal 19:31 19 Oct 03

is there a programme that i can use to allow my cd drive to play dvd`s

expertec 19:44 19 Oct 03

It's physically impossible, a different laser is needed to read/write DVD discs. A DVD drive has two lasers, one for CDs and on for DVDs

expertec 19:48 19 Oct 03

if it was possible I'd have done it myself already ;-)

campal 20:32 19 Oct 03

i thought that i read in a magazine that there was a programme that would do it, i must have been dreaming!!

PA28 21:42 19 Oct 03

There is a way of cramming more data onto a CD-R by means of DVD writers that support this mode. This is actually the reverse of what you are asking, but I suspect it might be the basis of the article you saw?

expertec 14:25 20 Oct 03

Did a search on the web, found this on another forum:

"is there a way to make your computer read your cd-rom drive as a dvd drive even though it isn't?"

"What do you mean -- do you want to read DVD discs with your CD-ROM drive? If so, unfortunately it's not possible, since these two technologies are pretty far from each other even that their discs look the same"

Stuartli 16:18 20 Oct 03

The DVD laser beam read gap is much smaller than that for a CD.

The FreshDownload website has an offer of software to (presumably) compress DVDs to fit on a CD-R, but the quality will probably not be too clever.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…