CD Drives not working - is it Norton Antivirus2005

missyblue 16:59 18 Nov 04

Hi Everyone

I installed Norton AntiVirus 2005 and now I find that my CD and CD-RW will not read software or data discs, but both will play music. If I access through My Computer I get the message E:\ is not accessible. Incorrect Function. Hoping that someone can help me or even just confirm that it is or isn't anything to do with Norton Anti-Virus 2005. I use Windows XP Home Thanks

mattyc_92 17:07 18 Nov 04

Everyone is having problems with their drives 2day.... I don't think that the anti-virus is anything to do with this error. I suggest that you try updating your drivers

ventanas 17:19 18 Nov 04

What drivers? All Optical drives use standard Windows drivers, there is nothing to install. It may be possible to update the firmware, but I wouldn't advise it unless its desperate.

Agree though, I don't see how Norton could cause this. It will look at files on cd's, but not the drives themselves.

I would try removing them one at a time through device manager and rebooting. This will let Windows reinstall them. You never know. Its a strange one though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…