CD drives not working

Topcat146 12:16 28 Jun 04

my cd drives are not working, also they are not diplayed on windows explorer can anyone help as i do not want to fully restore the computer.

xania 13:31 28 Jun 04

The first thing to do is check whether they are recognised on Boot-up. Assuming that you are looking for them, they should be found during the first screen and identified for what they are. If not, assume that either the power or data cables may have come loose and check - also make sure they're the correct way round. If all is OK, you may have a cable failure, so try replacing the cable. Also try with other power connectors - if one has failed on the same data cable, it could bring down the other. Also try each one as master.

If they are recognised, I would suspect a driver problem. Try booting with a floppy disc with the drivers installed (98SE or later) and test in DOS by typing the dir X:\ where X is the drive letter of each CD. If still no joy, report back giving details of OS and I try to take you further.

Stuartli 13:52 28 Jun 04

The most likely reason, if you have been inside your system's case, is that the IDE cable has become detached or is not firmly attached to the mobo.

If the drives are listed in Device Manager in Safe Mode then this will be the cause.

I had exactly the same problem on Saturday after installing a new CPU - I had inadvertently dislodged the secondary IDE cable when folding down the side housing the motherboard.

As it had happened one before after I had been trying to improve the air flow through the case, I knew immediately what was causing it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…