CD drives not functioning- Thunderbird corrupt

jack 10:10 12 Oct 07

Would seem to suggest a nasty crept into an ancient dial up machine whilst trying to download AVG update.

This ancient Time/Win2000 machine I have been working on - worked fine last night and - spent some time on line downloading up dates.

This morning Thunder-bird instead of opening presented a a screen of text in red.
Outlook Express opened fine.
Attempting to open a PCA disk with some utilities and discovered both CD drives are not seeing a disk
'Insert disc in drive D'
'Insert disc in drive E'
fortunately all is not lost as the Flash drive is working, so I could transfer stuff from my machine to it.
But which would I use to try to recover.?
I did do a recover back to Yesterday but to no avail-so far - back even further then?

jack 17:46 12 Oct 07

Although the machine has set several recovery points
during the past week as i have been working it.
- each point has failed to make a recovery.
I have been able to reverse it back to to-day how ever
Is this a clue I wonder?

jack 10:19 13 Oct 07

Silly old me- lets blame the cold I have and the ample dosage of medication.
Why would the optical drive not work?
I'll tell you having decided to put some useful utilities into this machine I nonchalantly grabbed a wonderful PCA cover disc - and waited and waited and nothing happened- hence the above.
This morning- still groggy -[was it the medication?]
it dawned upon me why nothing happened.
That PCA cover disk in the CD drawer -yup you guessed it is a DVD!!!!

Now I ponder how many bleats about -non working players' is for the same reason?

jack 10:20 13 Oct 07

Though the corrupted Thunderbird may warrant snother post

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…