cd drives and hard drives jumpers

hugoboss38 17:31 18 May 09

i need some help please ive got a DELL DIMENSION 1100 im trying to install a dvd drive and a slave hard drive how do i do it and what about the jumpers ive got a samsung 80g hard drive i want to install everytime i go to the bios it finds the two cd drives but as soon as i install the extra hard drive it says can not find the hardware at all the only one that it finds is the cr drive but the dvd drive dont show up or any of the hard drives.have i put the jumpers in the wrong place or the data cable in the wrong slot

woodchip 17:41 18 May 09

If they are all IDE drives. You have to set on one ribbon one as Master other as Slave. this goes for both ribbon cables. Set Hard drives as Masters and Optical Drives as Slaves one of each on one ribbon cable

hugoboss38 17:45 18 May 09

yes i have tried that still no luck it reads the two hard drives but as soon as i add the extra drive it goes and says no drive found
but as soon as i remove the slave drive it reads the two cd drives and also the hard drive??

hugoboss38 17:49 18 May 09

could it be something to do with the orignal cd drive and hard drive cable not been put in the right slots
ive got the cd drive as master and also the hard drive as master as thats what it says on the dell support page is that right and it works fine but then the fun starts when i install the other two

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:26 18 May 09

You need 80 wire cables

cable in IDE slot 1 - hard drive with operating system as master on the end of the cable and slave hard drive in the middle.

cable in IDE slot 2 - DVD rewriter drive as master on end and Cd drive as slave in middle.

woodchip 19:20 18 May 09

Also put the Hard Drive on End Plug CD on Middle one Hard Drive set to Master CD to Slave, set BIOS for Drives as Auto Detect. Red Wire on Ribbon Cable goes next to power Plug Red also goes to number 1`pin on the Motherboard IDE if it does not have a notch for the correct way in

woodchip 19:21 18 May 09

Before Exit in BIOS save settings or they will not be applied

DieSse 00:03 19 May 09

Do as Fruitbat suggests. Do NOT mix hard drives and optical drives on the same cables - there may be interface anomalies that stop them co-existing happily on the same cable, and even if they work there may be performance issues.

If you set the drives explicitly to Master and Slave on the jumpers, it makes no difference which goes on which connector (the position on the cable only matters if you use Cable Select jumpers with 80-wire cables.)

Ensure that none of the drives are set to the Cable Select position, otherwise different connection rules apply.

hugoboss38 17:14 19 May 09

right at the moment my cd drive is set as master and my hard drive is set as master too. and boots up ok. MY hard drive is a samsung HARD DRIVE 80GB IDE (7200RPM). the cd drive is CD-R/RW/DVD ROM DRIVE CRX310EE.
THE HARD DRIVE IM TRYING TO INSTALL IS A 40.8 GB MODEL ST340810A.AND THE DVD/CD REWRITABLE DRIVE ATAPI DVD A DH20A4P. BUT WHEN I INSTALL THEM IT KEEPS ON COMING UP AS CAN NOT BE FOUND ON MY DELL SOMETHING ABOUT PRIMARY DRIVE CAN NOT BE FOUND

hugoboss38 17:16 19 May 09

THE CD DRIVES CAN BE FOUND THATS NOT THE PROBLEM ITS WHEN I INSTALL THE HARD DRIVE KEEPS ON COMING UP UNKOWN DEVICE BOTH OF THEM WHEN IVE INSTALLED THEM AND GO OT MY BIOS ITS DRIVING ME MAD THEY SAY ITS SO EASY LOL NOT LOL

jimv7 17:30 19 May 09

Check the diagram on the hard drives, some drives are not set as 1 master and 2 slave, but the 1st drive is set as master with slave and the 2nd set as slave.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now