CD drive works OK. Add DVD, neither works. Help!

doktorharp 19:40 30 Dec 05

Running XP the CD writer worked well. I bought a Samsung DVD writer and installed it, setting master/slave links as per instructions. They both appeared in the device manager, but with yellow triangles. They didn't appear in My Computer. When I look at their properties, it tells me that there has been a problem loading the drivers (code 39) and they may be corrupted or missing. I have tried unistalling and re-installing and I get the same indications. I have changed the shared IDE cable. I tried checking/looking for the correct drivers, and re-installing them from the manufacturers' sites, but without success. Can anyone suggest anything? Many thanks.

Diversion 19:44 30 Dec 05

You have to set the jumpers behind each drive one set to master and the other as slave.

Strawballs 00:08 31 Dec 05

Try setting both to cable select and let windows decide which way to do it.

namtaf 00:41 31 Dec 05

seconded. Then if that fails buy a new ide cable.

namtaf 00:45 31 Dec 05

and you could uninstall whe entire channel, then let windows re-detect

doktorharp 17:16 31 Dec 05

Thanks for your help, Strawballs,namtaf & diversion. I had set them to master & slave but with no result. I then tried both on cable select and the PC stopped before windows was loaded. I decided to try and get back to the point where the DCRW was working (with DVD completely removed) and work from there. I put CDRW on master and re-installed it. I changed the IDE cable again. Same as before- I've got it enabled but it says the CDRW is not working properly. Again it mentions the failure to properly load the driver. So with only the CD connected, even that doesn't work! I'd appreciate any other suggestions. Thanks ;-)

pj123 17:20 31 Dec 05

You can only select "Cable Select" if you are using 80 conductor cables. It won't work with 40 conductor cables. Plus, of course your motherboard has to support 80 conductor cables.

doktorharp 17:23 31 Dec 05

Thanks pj123.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…