CD Drive wont see disks

lazanda 13:08 05 Oct 03

When I put a cd in my PC, I click on my computer to have a look whats on it and nothing is showing as being in the cd tray.
I tried setup-run D: and it says please insert disc. Any ideas out there ?

CHeers

Jester2K II 13:29 05 Oct 03

Just one cd or all of them. Are these factory pressed or CDRs??

How old is the drive?

lazanda 13:31 05 Oct 03

Drive is about a year old. Tried an original music CD and A CD written by me and neither work.

Diemmess 14:55 05 Oct 03

Try removing the CDROM in Device Manager, rebooting, and see if Windows puts the driver back again.

Sorry to say the CD might be dead, but you have to cross check as many ways as you can to be sure.
Another check is to watch and listen. Does the light come on at all, and can you hear the disk spinning up at all - as well?

Assuming of course that you haven't been inside the box and disturbed the power and data cables. Even with a non-working laser, the disk will probably give a brief spin before stopping and developing "cloth ears"

lazanda 14:03 07 Oct 03

Did this the first time and nothing, then opened and shut the cd case a few times over, and bingo, it worked !

Thankyou very much.

L.

Djohn 14:38 07 Oct 03

Just a little more info. that may be of use. Both my drives refused to autostart on inserting a CD, going into "My Computer" and right clicking on either drive still refused to show any info. or requested me put a CD in.

They had been working fine up to installing a couple of M/S up-dates and a new program. I did a right click on each drive and chose properties, from there I chose, up-date driver. Even though the message came back that windows was using the best driver, once I clicked OK and exited, both drives worked fine and would recognise the auto-play feature from then on. So it's always worth a try before seeking more drastic action.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…