CD Drive tray opens itself when restarting pc ?

Giggle n' Bits 01:54 14 Feb 03

when I go to restart my computer using win98 my CDRom drive (Not a DVD or CDWrtr) opens the tray while shutting down to restart.

Is this a Virus, damaged CDROM or does DMA need to be ticked for the CDROM Drives properties?

Stuartli 09:19 14 Feb 03

DMA has nothing to do with the tray opening and closing, but should be enabled in any case.

This is the opposite to what normally happens if you leave the tray open when shutting down - the tray should automatically close during the sequence.

It's not clear from your thread whether you do have a rewriter as well. If so, do you have Nero by any chance?

This software controls the operation of the CD/DVD-ROM drive and/or rewriter and just might be the source of the problem. But it's only a guess.

It might also be worth deleting the CD-ROM drive from the system and letting Windows reinstall it at boot up.

You don't need a driver as Windows has its own generic version.

Giggle n' Bits 10:33 14 Feb 03

standalone normal CDROM.
When I installed windows 98Se the installation did mis out some files and I had to manually add them by Run - sfc method and was suscessfull.
Would this indicate a bad drive not reading and doing this odd thing?.

Giggle n' Bits 10:37 14 Feb 03

this didn't have any effect.
Will remove CDROM from DEvice manager and try that.

Is the Boot sequence of Floppy, CDROM, HDD ok ?

redelf 14:16 14 Feb 03

Try removing CDRom from the boot sequence.

Stuartli 16:24 14 Feb 03

I've already stated that Direct Memory Access (DMA) has nothing to do with the tray opening on its own - it's for high speed data transfer between the system and, in this case, your CD-ROM drive...:-)

The boot sequence you state of A, CD-ROM and HDD is fine.

Have you checked the leads etc for correct insertion and that the jumper on the rear of the Cd-ROM drive is set at Master (as you have no rewriter when it would be the rewriter as Master and the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive as Slave)?

Did you also delete the CD-ROM from your system and then let Windows reinstall it?

The fact that you had to use System File Checker to replace missing files is highly unlikely to have any effect on the drive.

If you go to Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Information>Network>Storage you should find your CD-ROM listed by brand and model; the driver should be listed on the lines of: CDROM\0000 (the final digit may be 1, 2, 3 etc).

Giggle n' Bits 21:17 14 Feb 03

Thanks so far !

Giggle n' Bits 21:28 14 Feb 03

The Bios setting for Secondary IDE Master which is my CDROM as I only have a HDD on Primary master and Floppy. These are the settings but are they correct for a CDROM Drive ?

Type = CDROM
Multi Sector transfers = Disabled
LBA Mode Crontrol = Disabled
Transfer Mode = FPIO4/DMA2
Ultra DMA = Disabled

Can any one tell me if any of these settings are wrong.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…