Cd drive there - but no cds...

neutronxx 13:27 21 Mar 05

I have searched through the older threads but haven't been able to see anything that covers this. The problem is yesterday i was ripping some cd's to Media 10 and my system began freezing temporarily. i restarted and my Phillips CD/RW drive disappeared from xp and i could not eject the disc (it appeared to have no power). i restarted again and the disc ejected and the drive appeared as normal again in XP. Except it doesn't recognise any kind of disc, music or software. everything else is fine and my other DVD drive is normal.

Has the drive died? Or has a setting changed? Control Panel is normal and states the device is working normally. Any ideas??

Thanks

vinnyT 13:45 21 Mar 05

I would try removing the drive, restarting and let windows 'find' it again.

Go to system propertie-device manager-cd-rom select the Phillips CD/RW, then click the remove button at the bottom, restart windows and, hopefully, the 'found new hardware' box will come up, just follow the instructions. This is how it's done in w98, I'm sure it will be similar in xp.

Of course, you may be right and the drive has died, but it's worth trying.

Hope this helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…