CD Drive showing 0 Bytes free

shmitster 13:08 16 Jan 14

Hey guys,

I've been looking at my days laptop and I'm clueless now. I don't know what he tried doing but here is the story.

Pretty much he tried following some guide to get this elearning so he could view something about cars, after a few days he noticed he couldn't use the CD tray.

When a disk is put in the tray nothing is detected. You go to my Computer and it shows 0 Bytes free. When you actually double click the CD drive it shows files or folders are in there. You can't remove or move them. Whenever you place place a CD in it spins but not detection.

Other keypoints - Windows Vista OS - Showing in drive F:

I have no clue on how to go about fixing this and wouldn't greatly appreciate helping my Dad.

You have my thanks :)

Ian in Northampton 13:28 16 Jan 14

I think you may be under a bit of a misunderstanding if I've read your post correctly.

Is this a CD that he's bought that has elearning on? If that's the case, it will certainly show zero free space because you can't write files to a commercial CD. You can only write them to a writable CD. Similarly, you can't delete files from a commercial CD, or move them to another location on the CD. You can, however, copy them to your laptop's hard drive.

If you double click on the CD drive and it shows you what files and folders are on the CD, then there's nothing wrong with it, I don't think. What happens when you double click on one of the files or folders? Does it open?

Sorry if I've misunderstood the problem.

shmitster 13:49 16 Jan 14

Hey Ian,

And sort of got it. It doesn't read any CD, when I double click the CD drive there's files in there but no CD's are showing. My dad installed the files from the internet, the main thing my dad wanted was the printer to be setup but I can't do that when the CD tray inst reading anything and files are already showing in it.

Michael

Ian in Northampton 14:21 16 Jan 14

Michael: I'm sorry - you've only confused me more... :-(

1. Is there a CD in the drive?
  2. What do you mean - "no CD is showing"?
  3. What do you mean "doesn't read any CD"?
  4. When you double click on the CD drive in e.g. Windows Explorer, what do you see?
  5. Is what you see what you would expect to see?
  6. I don't understand the relationship between the CD drive, your dad downloading stuff from the internet, and setting up a printer.

Please let us have more detail...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:25 16 Jan 14
  1. What is the drive letter of the CD drive?

2. What is the drive letter where the files are seen?

3. do any CDs autorun when put in the drive?

shmitster 15:39 16 Jan 14

Sorry I'm not making any sense.

1. There is no CD in the drive.
  2. I meant now CD displaying on My Computer if a CD is being used. 3.The CD drive won't read any CD's weather its blank or full.
  3. When you double click it you see files and folders.
  4. No, I would expect to see nothing because it is a CD drive, I'd only see anything if i put a CD in.
  5. Ignore the printer part, theres just files he installed on the internet seemed to have stayed stuck on the CD drive.
  Ian in Northampton 17:50 16 Jan 14

This is a real long shot... I have a 2TB Hewlett-Packard USB disk rive. When I attach it, it appears as two drive letters - one shows as a CD, the other as a removable disk. The 'CD' is actually, I think, a partition on the drive that only contains the 'HP Launcher' backup utility: I assume it's set up like that so that it will autorun when plugged in.

You haven't got anything like that, have you?

shmitster 04:33 17 Jan 14

I don't believe so, I'll have to ask my Dad what else he did with it.

alanrwood 11:47 17 Jan 14

Ian's idea is also true for some external drives such as WD My Book and some Mobile Internet dongles etc.

It is still not clear to me what you actually are experiencing. Can you just answer the questions asked by Ian and Fruitbat yesterday as it will help us to understand the problem better.

shmitster 13:09 17 Jan 14

I will get a screenshot of everything, what is the best way to show pictures on PC adviser.

bumpkin 13:28 17 Jan 14

Asked by Ian "What happens when you double click on one of the files or folders? Does it open?" an answer to that would be a good starting point.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…