CD Drive Problems

Jonty-comp 19:24 24 May 05

I have recently started having problems with my Artec WRR-52Z CD writer. In the past I have been very happy with it, but after a while, I started having problems. Whenever I use Nero 5 to copy CD to CD-R it keeps complaining about 'Unrevorable read error' hundreds of times - the copies don't work, needless to say.

I have also been having problems playing my Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun game but I don't know if this is related. The menus are very slow to react and I have to wait about a minute while the CD light flashes before anything happens.

It may also be a problem with my other CD drive, an ancient 12x CD drive (I'm not sure as the manufacturer but I think it may be Commodore)

Any help on either of these issues would be greatly appreciated.

jack 19:33 24 May 05

Copying CD to CD-r across two drives can be problematical due to differences between the two drives.
The best way to copy is to copy to HDD and burn from there- on the same drive.

mattyc_92 19:34 24 May 05

What exactly are you trying to copy?

torver 19:37 24 May 05

Firstly have you an up to date anti-virus program if not do an online check as viruses can often screw up cd devices,if so then have you recently installed windows service pack 2 for XP. I had a similar problem when my cd was changed to being a SCSI device instead of an IDE device. I had to uninstall the device and reboot windows after that burning disks as normal.

Jonty-comp 19:52 24 May 05

jack - I have an old 8Gb SCSI HDD and while it may be fast, it doesn't have a lot of space on it and I can only copy CDs up to 400MB or so. I have tried this before with a VideoCD I made of a holiday and when I wrote the files back to CD the DVD player turned it's nose up at it.

mattyc_92 - Usually I am just trying to do things like the above, (copying VCDs etc) but sometimes I get CDs with documents on that I have to copy before I return, and it is annoying when I have to pop next door and ask if I can use their PC.

torver - I will try removing the device and rebooting, but my CD drive is on the IDE bus, not the SCSI. When I first built the PC i had a problem with the secondary IDE channel not recognising the 4Gb HDD from my old PC but now it all works fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now