cd drive problems

willhay 16:33 02 Aug 03

Seems to be a bad weeks for me. Ive just installed a new motherboard in my dads pc and everything started up fine but after windows was reloaded, After several attempts, every time I tried to put software back on using the cd drive the pc would reboot, in the end I had to use the cdrw to reinstall everything, the system is
cd drive (not dvd) 52*
40*12*20 cdrw
jetway v2666 (think thats the right numbers)
amd 1800
20gb HD 5200rpm
I have slaved the cdrw of the hd to try and cure it, as before i slaved the cd reader of the hd. this might sound daft but could the cd reader be feeding the info to the HD to fast and upsetting it

bremner 16:37 02 Aug 03

The hard drive should be on IDE1

The CDRW should be master and the CD drive slave on IDE2.

willhay 16:40 02 Aug 03

never tried that I have always slaved the cdrw off the HD on IDE1 and had the dvd/cd on IDE2 as master

bremner 20:10 02 Aug 03
  willhay 17:03 03 Aug 03

connected as stated and still keeps restarting all the time at random, I have disconnected both cd drives and the thing runs perfect any ideas anyone

willhay 18:13 03 Aug 03

boing

DieSse 18:40 03 Aug 03

Can you narrow it down to one or other of the drives?

Maybe the system is a bit light in the PSU department?

willhay 21:01 03 Aug 03

FOUND IT...... it is the power supply i had also used a new case as the old one was only 200w. I substituted every thing else then finally the power supply and it cured it.....dont expect things like that to go wromg so they are always last to be checked

willhay 21:04 03 Aug 03

p.s. the only thing that made me think it was the cd drives was that whenever something was change it was about 20 mins before things started going wrong, and as the PC was not at my house i could'nt keep an eye on it...It is now

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…