Cd Drive not working

Luke801 11:55 14 Feb 07

Hi,

I've recently been trying to sort out my Dell Dimension pc's CD drive. It was working fine a few weeks ago until i turned it on one day and the pc didnt recognise the CD drive was there [It was missing from "My Computer"}. I thought that if i put a different CD drive in should sort it out so it recognise it was there but it didnt.

Does anyone know why its doing this? and how do i fix it?

Many thanks

Luke

Totally-braindead 12:00 14 Feb 07

Check the IDE lead, perhaps replace it.

Luke801 12:03 14 Feb 07

ive tried that and it didnt work. Also, i forgot to say that it said my drivers for the CD drive i replaced was corrupt. . could this be anything to do it?

ed-0 12:04 14 Feb 07

if it's not seen in the bios, then windows will not see any of them.

Enter the bios and check the settings for your primary and secondary IDE channels.

Luke801 12:08 14 Feb 07

ok i will do. What happens if its not seen on there? do i have to update my bios? or is it totally broken?

birdface 12:16 14 Feb 07

Go into Device Manager,If there is a yellow mark on it for your d-Drive try and update it,If not delete it and restart your computer,It should automatically find a new driver for you.

brundle 12:19 14 Feb 07
  Luke801 12:22 14 Feb 07

I've tried that as well. . and it doesnt recognise it that way. At the moment i dont have a D Drive. could it be the drivers on the pc have corrupted?

ed-0 15:16 14 Feb 07

have you looked in the bios?

What are the settings for

primary master

primary slave

secondary master

secondary slave

" What happens if its not seen on there? do i have to update my bios? "

No you don't have to update the bios. If the cdrom is not listed OR if they are not listed as "auto " as in autodetect. You need to change the settings to either manual or autodetect.

If they are on auto or the device is showing. Go to device manager > IDE/ATAPI controllers > secondary IDE channel > right click and uninstall. Reboot the computer and see if windows finds it and loads the right drivers. click here

have you tried a different IDE cable as per TB?

Are you sure you have the jumpers set to the correct position, do you have any other device on the same IDE ribbon cable?

Luke801 15:34 14 Feb 07

i havent had a chance to look yet because im at work but i will check when i get home. I believe that it is all set on auto. In device manager, the CD drive is not detected at all. . its all plugged in etc but the pc isnt finding it.

ed-0 15:40 14 Feb 07

" Are you sure you have the jumpers set to the correct position, do you have any other device on the same IDE ribbon cable? "

If you have another device on the same ribbon cable, disconnect it.

Start the computer and look at the first screen, the post screen. freeze it by pressing the " pause " key. Is the drive now listed on the screen?

press enter to let the computer to load.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…