CD drive not recognised-XP

Nicholas 11:52 25 Oct 05

I am having a problem with my computer not recognising the two CD drives that are installed. It seemed to be fine until after I installed windows (XP) updates and if I now go to Device Manager and click on the CD then properties I see the following message:
-------------------------------------
Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.
----------------------------------------
I have tried Troubleshooter and also uninstalling the drives and rebooting but I still can't seem to make them work. The computer is a Compaq and I don't have any software for the CDs so can't try installing drivers again.

Newuser4165 12:22 25 Oct 05

Try uninstalling the IDE channel running the drives and reboot

Newuser4165 12:23 25 Oct 05

Re above - I mean IDE Controller

Nicholas 13:54 25 Oct 05

In Device manager I have three controllers:
1. Intel(r) 82801DB Ultra Storage Controller-24CB
2. Primary IDE channel
3. Secondary IDE channel

I think I also ought to point out that I have two CD drives and it doesn't recognise either.

Nicholas 13:57 25 Oct 05

In Device manager I have three controllers:
1. Intel(r) 82801DB Ultra Storage Controller-24CB
2. Primary IDE channel
3. Secondary IDE channel

I think I also ought to point out that I have two CD drives and it doesn't recognise either.

SANTOS7 14:21 25 Oct 05

click here
this may help...

BurrWalnut 15:42 25 Oct 05

If SANTOS7's solution doesn't work, try this :-

Download CDGONE.ZIP from click here Make a system restore point first, unzip then run CDGONE then reinstall your burning software (if you have any).

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:55 25 Oct 05

Clean the registry with Regseeker click here

uninstall the CD drivers in device manager

Then Action - scan for hardware changes

Xp shold then reinstall the CD drivers.

OR

No CD/DVD or CD-ROM access is missing error Code 31, Code 32, Code 19, Code 39, or Code 41
Try this if the optical drives are not appearing in My Computer or Device Manager. This is sometimes caused by the removal of Roxio software. Run regedit and navigate to registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values. Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them. Close regedit and restart the computer. If in doubt make a restore point before making changes. click here

Newuser4165 12:59 26 Oct 05

Sorry for the delay in replying to your post.
I would expect the cd drives to be attached to the Secondary IDE Channel/Controller.The way to check is to have a look inside the pc - the ide leads from the cd drives will be attached to the motherboard on the IDE1 connector.

Bigtoe 16:08 26 Oct 05

I had this problem today (28/10/05) After pulling what few hairs I have remaining out, I tried the suggested 'CD GONE' . and it fixed it in a jiffy. Wow! Something that works. well done.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…