//some 3rd party need geo

CD Drive not recognised

slightlymad 22:41 01 Jan 03
  slightlymad 22:41 01 Jan 03

In a phone chat with a friend today, she said that her CD drive won't work and that she will have to call someone out.

"Don't do that" says I, "I know some very nice people who I'm sure will be able to help..."

So, I'm posting the exact contents of her subsequent email, in the hopes that someone will come up with a solution, please.

"Any assistance would be gratefully received.
My operating system is Win 98 2nd edition. I have two hard drives C: and D:. My CD drive is E: I went through some kind of wizard recently and there was confusion (on my part probably) in one of the final steps when both the C & D drives were indicated & I did not resolve it correctly. Now, although Explorer shows the contents of the CD, I cannot open or transfer anything from it. A rude note in Explorer says 'Cannot copy. Cannot read from specified defice.'"

VoG™ 22:45 01 Jan 03

Does it show up in the BIOS?

If you ask her this question and she's stumped then the engineer might be the answer?

BBez 22:46 01 Jan 03

boot with a 98 startup disk, at the a:\ prompt, type "scanreg /restore" without the quotes and restore a recent registry backup. This will undo any changes made on the system since the last backup...

slightlymad 22:49 01 Jan 03

VoG™: I asked her if she knew how to get into the BIOS and she swore at me, so I don't think I'll mention it again...

BBez: That sounds manageable - many thanks, I'll pass it on.

slightlymad 22:52 01 Jan 03

BBez - It is "scanreg(space)/restore, right?

woodchip 22:57 01 Jan 03

She need's to start with win98 floppy start disc at a:\> type scanreg/restore she will get several backup's offered to restore from she need's to choose a date before the date she made the changes and then press enter

leo49 23:20 01 Jan 03

click here

Some background info on scanreg/restore which might come in handy.

Regards Leo49

slightlymad 23:28 01 Jan 03

Thanks, Woodchip and Leo49. Now that's interesting - according to the site you mention, she doesn't need a startup disk.

slightlymad 23:30 01 Jan 03

So, does it make any difference which procedure she uses?

slightlymad 00:35 02 Jan 03

I won't tick until tomorrow, when my friend tries out the above suggestions - it's too late to phone her now. I'm a bit worried that the error occurred before the 5-day backup that Windows keeps, in which case I'll presumably need some advice about going into the BIOS.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…