CD drive not reading disk

Morphy 17:32 08 Mar 03

My CD drive works as normal about 90% of the time, but occasionally will not read certain disks.

Eg I have just hold of a copy of Office 97 that I cant install, the drive just makes a funny noise as it tries to read the disk for about a minute, and then just ejects the disk.

Its driving me up the wall as there doesnt seem to be any particular consistency to the problem.

Any help please? I am running Windows XP
Cheers

recap 17:36 08 Mar 03

Make sure the disc is clean. Also, you could pop a CD cleaning disc in the drive to see if that's what is needed.

cream. 17:39 08 Mar 03

Is the disk \ disk's that will not read dirty or scratched.

Sometimes even thumb prints can stop the c\d from reading.

I have over the years used a week solution of windowlene, sprayed on the disk, then wiped and then dried.

Do not do it in a circular motion but in a segment clean as if it were portions of apple pie. Sorry for the description but could not think of any better. lol

You may also, of course, have a slightly dirty laser that is not picking up every thing. This could also be why some are read and some not.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…