CD drive - lockout

novis 14:01 25 Mar 06

I do not have access to my CD drive although I have tried restoring it. I have tried Systems Restore which has not worked.

Obviously I need to re-install Windows - but how so can I do when I cannot access my CD drive to install it from the disk.

I run Windows XP Pro; have a Sony Vaio system with 512 MB / 80 GB HD.

VoG II 14:04 25 Mar 06

Not sure what yo mean by !do not have access" but you could try click here

surfmonkey #:@} 14:20 25 Mar 06

have you tryed uninstalling it and reinstalling it through device manager

novis 14:51 25 Mar 06

Tried the CD-DVD-Fix - nothin g happened on rebooting the computer. The drive wasn't restored.

ACOLYTE 14:53 25 Mar 06

Have you checked the IDE cables are in plce firmly,does the cd drive show in device manager?
Try another cd drive,it may be the one you have has become faulty.

Hertz Van Rentyl 14:55 25 Mar 06

Is this a laptop only some of the systems have a hidden partition with the recovery on it, do not need the discs if yours is so enabled.

novis 14:57 25 Mar 06

Not a laptop, Hertz - if someone told me where to find the device manager it might be a help to try that option.

Hertz Van Rentyl 15:02 25 Mar 06

Control panel/system/hardware/device manager. Then uninstall from Cd rom drives

Ray5776 15:16 25 Mar 06

When you find CD drive in "device manager" right click on it and select uninstall. Re-boot, Add new hardware wizard should pick it up guide you through install process, assuming the drive is working OK.

novis 15:28 25 Mar 06

Thanks to everyone - I ended up presing Help & Support in the Control Panel and ended up on a screen which allowed me to reinstall from a Deevide Manager button.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac