CD Drive keeps opening by itself.

Steophonic 06:40 01 Nov 04

Hi,
I have an NEC desktop that I bought about 4 years ago with XP Home Edition on it. It started acting up a bit recently possibly due to the Welchia virus (I received a mail with an attachment called "photos") and I haven't been able to fix it. It was freezing very regularily with a blank screen, sometimes blue, sometimes white and sometimes with black, grey and white stripes. All I could do was turn it off and reboot and everything was fine until the next time. On top of that the cd/dvd drive keeps opening by itself. I have done virus checks with the latest Norton software and found nothing. I've also used Ad-Aware and deleted quite a lot of spyware software and I removed some unnecessary programs from the startup area. The freezing problem still exists but seems to only happen when I'm chatting with MSN or Yahoo Messenger and it's much less frequent than before. The cd/dvd drive doesn't seem to open much by itself now unless I have a disc in it, last night I put a disc in and it opened and closed constantly until I removed the disc. I've tried all I can think of so I'm desperate for some help before I have to format and re-install everything.

Diodorus Siculus 07:39 01 Nov 04

Try the system file checker

start

run

sfc /scannow

If no good, then remove the dirve via the device manager and reboot; that should reinstall its drivers for you.

Androcles 08:31 01 Nov 04

You may also want to look here about the welchia worm:-click here
Symantec Security Response - W32.Welchia.Worm regarding the cd tray opening this can also be caused by a trojan,try this:-click here
Anti-Trojan, Anti-Worm, Anti-Dialer and Anti-Spyware all in one! A2 (a-squared) Malware Scanner and Remover Software Regards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…